settings for speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harry W, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

I just got a Kenwood reciver and the question I have to ya'll is what is the best setting for the speakers?When I set them up I put +7db for the front l/r,+4db for the center and +5db for surround l/r.It sounds fine to me but I thought there would be a setting that would be even better.It's a Kenwood VR-505.Is this a good reciver?Got It at CircuitCity for around 200.Anyone know anything about this one?My first new reciver in about6 years.Got it hooked up to a Panasonic DVD player and a 27 in Panasonic tv.I'am new to this since I got the dvd for Fathers day.Any advice or directions would be helpful.Thanks in advance.Harry

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What kind of speakers? Size/type, etc...
    The speaker adjustment is for setting the levels based on size and distance from the listening position, when measuring a test tone with an SPL meter.
    I would recommend you go to Radio Shack and pick up an inexpensive SPL meter, as well as a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hello Harry. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    No one can tell you how to set these numbers. Here is why:
    In your living room, you sit a different distance to each speaker. This means that if the same-sound moves from speaker to speaker, it's volume will change.
    Your receiver allows you adjust the center, and each rear volume a bit to compensate.
    Your room and speakers are different from mine, so your numbers will be different from mine.
    My advice: Leave the values set where they sound good to get used to the system.
    In a few weeks, plan to purchase a Analog SPL meter from Radio Shack ($35), and a copy of the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD. ($20-40) This is the only way to adjust the numbers properly.
    Is the Kenwood a good unit?
    Kenwood is a company that is trying to stage a come-back. So their units tend to be fairly good for the money.
    But in the world of HT receivers, the quality is roughly as follows:
    Modest quality < $500
    Mid-fi quality $500-$1500
    High End $1500-$2500
    So your Kenwood unit is probably a very good starter unit for you to get into DVD and Home Theater.
    Good luck.

4. Harry W

Thank you guys.I've got The Ultimate DVD Platinum with home theater enhancement,set up and diagnostic tools.Is that one alright?I beleive I saw the AVIA at circuit city for around 50.If so is it worth that much?I'll look into the SPL meter.I've heard of it when I got my first pro logic receiver,but never picked one up.Also thanks for the welcome.Looks like another hobby in the works.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I think the Ultimate DVD Platinum has the test tones that go to each speaker one at a time. Play with it. It should have a chapter called something like "Level Adjustment" or "Speaker Calibration".
    The sound-meter simply tells you the volume. You sit with it at your listening position and turn the main-volume up so the sound that comes from either the main L/R speaker is around 75 db.
    Then when the sound moves to the center, you use the setup menu on the receiver to increase/reduce JUST the center volume until it reaches 75 db.
    Repeat for each of the rear speakers and you have it.
    (And yes, this is another time/money wasting hobby. This fourm is a BAD place to visit if you are already over-loaded with hobbies). [​IMG]

6. Harry W

Thanks Bob.I appreciate your advice.