What's new

settings for speakers? (1 Viewer)

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Kenwood reciver and the question I have to ya'll is what is the best setting for the speakers?When I set them up I put +7db for the front l/r,+4db for the center and +5db for surround l/r.It sounds fine to me but I thought there would be a setting that would be even better.It's a Kenwood VR-505.Is this a good reciver?Got It at CircuitCity for around 200.Anyone know anything about this one?My first new reciver in about6 years.Got it hooked up to a Panasonic DVD player and a 27 in Panasonic tv.I'am new to this since I got the dvd for Fathers day.Any advice or directions would be helpful.Thanks in advance.Harry

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What kind of speakers? Size/type, etc...
The speaker adjustment is for setting the levels based on size and distance from the listening position, when measuring a test tone with an SPL meter.
I would recommend you go to Radio Shack and pick up an inexpensive SPL meter, as well as a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hello Harry. Welcome to HTF! :)
No one can tell you how to set these numbers. Here is why:
In your living room, you sit a different distance to each speaker. This means that if the same-sound moves from speaker to speaker, it's volume will change.
Your receiver allows you adjust the center, and each rear volume a bit to compensate.
Your room and speakers are different from mine, so your numbers will be different from mine.
My advice: Leave the values set where they sound good to get used to the system.
In a few weeks, plan to purchase a Analog SPL meter from Radio Shack ($35), and a copy of the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD. ($20-40) This is the only way to adjust the numbers properly.
Is the Kenwood a good unit?
Kenwood is a company that is trying to stage a come-back. So their units tend to be fairly good for the money.
But in the world of HT receivers, the quality is roughly as follows:
Modest quality < $500
Mid-fi quality $500-$1500
High End $1500-$2500
So your Kenwood unit is probably a very good starter unit for you to get into DVD and Home Theater.
Good luck.

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you guys.I've got The Ultimate DVD Platinum with home theater enhancement,set up and diagnostic tools.Is that one alright?I beleive I saw the AVIA at circuit city for around 50.If so is it worth that much?I'll look into the SPL meter.I've heard of it when I got my first pro logic receiver,but never picked one up.Also thanks for the welcome.Looks like another hobby in the works.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think the Ultimate DVD Platinum has the test tones that go to each speaker one at a time. Play with it. It should have a chapter called something like "Level Adjustment" or "Speaker Calibration".
The sound-meter simply tells you the volume. You sit with it at your listening position and turn the main-volume up so the sound that comes from either the main L/R speaker is around 75 db.
Then when the sound moves to the center, you use the setup menu on the receiver to increase/reduce JUST the center volume until it reaches 75 db.
Repeat for each of the rear speakers and you have it.
(And yes, this is another time/money wasting hobby. This fourm is a BAD place to visit if you are already over-loaded with hobbies). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks