Setting volume on speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I FINALLY[​IMG] got my surround speakers hooked up today. Had to craw under the house in the dirt to run the wires. Anywho, I was playing around with the settings on the reciever and was not sure how I should set up the volume for the speakers. I've got the Kenwood VR-507. I'm not sure if all receivers are like this (remember, I'm a newbie[​IMG] ), but it has the settings for the volumes of all the separate speakers. It says in the instruction manual that the volume levels for each speaker should be the same. But right now I've got the two front speakers set at +2, the center set at +4, and the surrounds set at +2. The surrounds are working, but from what little playing around with the system that I did, I can't seem to hear them that much. Is it supposed to be that way? Should I set my center lower to match the other speakers, or raise the volume on the others to match the center? Also, what would be a good movie to use to test out and tune all the speakers (except the sub)? I was thinking something like The Fast and the Furious. What are everyone's suggestions?
    Dan

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

You need to calibrate your system. Run a search in the Hardware forum for "Avia", "Video Essentials", "VE" or "calibrate", and you should get all the info you need.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    What you should do now is get a copy of Video Essentials or Avia and an SPL meter from Radio shack. Then, using the test tones from the disc, calibrate your speakers so that they are at 75db each. They will walk you through this procedure on the disc. This is the only true way to get all of your speakers matched. If you try to do it by ear, you will never get it perfect. Good luck.

:b Saurav beat me to it.