What's new

Setting up XBOX with Hitachi 51S500 to get High Definition from Games? (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Hey all,
I need assistance with properly setting up an XBOX with the Hitachi 51S500 HD RPTV.
The way the TV manual reads to me is that it natively supports 480i, 540p and 1081i formats but that it will "upsample" 480p and 720p sources to 1080i format to display.

So, when setting up my XBOX, do I activate all Hi Def formats and let the TV handle it or do I only enable 1080i?

Does anyone else have an XBOX connected to a Hitachi 51S500, and if so can you report what setting you have?

IF I do enable all formats and for some reason the TV can not "upsample" them, am I causing any problems by leaving the XBOX setup for all High Def formats?

I apprecaite any and all assistance.

Thanks,
Brian

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brian, Hopefully I can help.

I have the 51T700, which is basically the same TV you have but with a built in Hi Def Tuner. I have my XBox set to YES for 480P, YES for 1080I and NO for 720P. The reason I have it this way is because I read that the Hitachi will upconvert a 720P signal and that certain games (like EA Sports MVP Baseball) that have 720P as the native resolution can only be shown natively in 720P and don't allow the game to be upconverted. I could be off in that assessment and I have not rented a game that is in 720P yet to see what the difference is (if any). All I know is that when I play Halo on my Hitachi, the screen tells me it's getting a 480P signal, so I assume it's upconverting it to 540P or 1080I, whichever I have the TV set at using the virtual HD setting. I haven't seen any artifacting or anything by doing it this way and things look great. Now, if I were to rent a 720P game (like MVP Baseball), I suppose I would play with the settings some to see what kind of results I can get, but for now, everything seems pretty great.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks Evan, I appreciate your post.

I just went ahead and turned on all the high def settings and everything appears to be working fine so far.
I only have a few games so haven't run into the potential problem you spoke of.

Thanks again.

If anyone else can add to this please feel free to add to this thread.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks