Setting up TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Jan 22, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I have a Panasonic 32" Tau flat screen TV and I am a little currious about the best way to hook it up. The sales person told me that it had 2 rear s-video plugs and in fact it has 1 in rear and 1 in the front. My satellite has s-video and composite. My DVD player has s-video and composite also. Right now I have the coax cable running into the house and then to the satellite and VCR. Then the coax goes to the TV. On the TV I have the s-video out running to my Sony STR-DA555ES to the monitor in. Now I have the DVD s-video running to the reveiver s-video in and the satellite s-video running to the receiver s-video in. I am not even using the component cable because I don't have any equipment with component in/out. Thanks for the help. THe only requirement is that the VCR has to work with out changing video channels. Too complicated for the wife and the son. Thanks again. The homepage should be in my signature with all my equipment.

2. MichaelGomez

ttt

3. Ergin Guney

Ergin Guney Agent

There are a few things that are confusing about your description.

4. MichaelGomez

hey Ergin thanks for the great reply. I don't know if my tv can tell the difference but if it can't there are 3 different sets of connections. The one on the front of the TV but I don't want cables running to it, looks bad. Then on the back there is a set that includes the s-video and composites. Then another one that cas component. Each gets its own switcher, i.e. vid 1, vid 2 and vid 3. I guess when I can get a friend to come help me move the monster, I can look at the hook-ups again. Thanks.

Mike

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Michael what model dvd player do you have? If its got component outputs then you should run those directly to the tv's component inputs. It's likely that the Svideo video input and Video-in composite input may be on one shared input as far as the tv is concerned. Read your manual to determine if this is indeed true. how the tv handles things is dependent on the model. Some will always default to the Svideo port if something is hooked up to it, some may have a selection in the menu system, etc. But if this is the case then you may not be able to plug the vcr and the Svideo from the receiver/satellite in at the same time.

good luck,

--tom