Setting up system---please help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob Elliott, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

Jul 1, 2003
    I posted this below and got no replies. Please tell me what you think.

I am remodeling my home and I am setting up a home theater in the living room and speakers throughout the house. My low voltage guy has given me some choices for the receiver and amp I will need. I would like to know what you guys would buy and why. Also if you could direct me to places I can get the best prices I would appreciate it.

This is what he gave me:

Amp JBP-4000
    Receiver JBAV-325

Receiver AVR-983

Receiver R-756

Amplifier AMP-1230

What do you guys think? i like the Denon Reciver best. I don't know much about Newcastle. Are they any good. I don't know where to start with the amp.

What we are doing is running the home theater speakers directly from the receiver and then using the receiver as a source that will run into the amp. The amp will be plugged into a speaker selector that will control the speakers in the other rooms of the house.

Bob Elliott
  2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Feb 11, 1999
    All three receiver brands are solid although I'm not familiar with the amp. It won't be as critical though because its not driving the speakers in the main room, just the other rooms, which won't be driven as hard(make sure your contractor doesn't scrimp on the speaker selector).

The Denon 983 is the same as the 2803, so it would be a good choice. Have you considered the Denon 3803? It has video upconversion, if you want the convenience of switching all of the video through the receiver(easier for others in the house to use), better DACs, and a little more power. Of course, it's also more expensive, as well.

There should be some good deals on-line if you do a search. If you go for the Denon, just make sure you get it from an authorized dealer so your warranty will be valid.

Good Luck,