What's new

Setting up Speakers... db level? I used to know this! (1 Viewer)

Mike Mann

Grip
I used to know this, but when setting up your speakers on your reciever what .db level do you set to for each speaker? I have a digital radio shack sound meter and have to resetup my speakers. Can't remember what it is, somewhere in the 70's for all 5 channels and low 80's for your sub? right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike

75 dbspl on all channels from the listening position.

set your meter to slow response c weighted and dial in 80 watch the needle to go to -5

easy eh

ben

Vin

Supporting Actor
Mike, Ben is right, it's a pretty easy process but if you want more details look Link Removed.
Vin

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend setting the meter to 70. Then set all speakers to +5. The meter is more accurate between 0 and +6 per the manual.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Additionally, the RS meter is notoriously inaccurate at the frequency extremes and when setting the LFE channel you actually need to calibrate -2 or -3 dB to get an accurate setting.

So, that would be 72 or 73dB. Setting above this means you're actually running the subwoofer "hot". Some people like this, others do not.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks