What's new

Setting up PS4 and PC on same monitor and speakers (1 Viewer)

dustypoo90

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Ok, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to home theatre stuff, so please bear with me. My situation is this: I already have a PC connected to a monitor via HDMI and 5.1 surround sound speakers via the three 3.5 mm jacks. I just purchased a PS4 and would like to hook it up to the same monitor and speakers via a switch so that I can just switch between them when I want. It was easy enough to find an HDMI switch on Amazon, but I have had trouble finding something comparable for the audio. I would be perfectly fine having two seperate switches I have to click every time.

So far my plan has been to plug both the PS4 and PC (will a PC graphics card output 5.1 surround sound through HDMI?) to an HDMI switch. Then the output from the HDMI switch would go to an HDMI extractor that outputs video on HDMI and audio on RCA. Then I would finally need an adapter for RCA to 3.5 mm jacks for 5.1 surround sound.

My question is will that work? Or is there a better way to do this using some piece of equipment I have so far been unable to find?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Go to Amazon...electronics

Type in...

Panlong 5.1ch analog adapter

(Using a tablet...linking not easy. There are more than just that one...J-Tech amongst others)

dustypoo90

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Ok, I think I see where you're going. So say I get this:

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switcher-Selector-Extractor/dp/B00QJGAKCW/ref=pd_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W38DATRXZ2Y0MJZ1P76

And I plug my PC and PS4 into it via HDMI, then take another HDMI from the output to my monitor and one of these cables:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F71X0RHGT5AZWJ4H8E5

Would go to this 5.1 audio adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Audio-Digital-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00AMC2J1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429490903&sr=8-1&keywords=Panlong+5.1ch+analog+adapter

That I would then plug my speakers into. And then I'm good to go, no?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your monitor has two HDMI inputs...

You only need two toslink to that 5.1 analog adapter. There is no need to do anything with the HDMI.

Unless you want to include the HDMI switch for 1 button push...instead of two. Depends if $50 is worth 1 button push. Only you can answer that.

dustypoo90

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
It only has one input, so I think I need the switch or I'll have to constantly manually unplug one and plug in the other lol.

dustypoo90

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Ah thank you very much.

Ya, I mean, I'm pretty decent with computer hardware, I just don't know a lot about audio. Like I had no idea what spdif was before today lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks