What's new

Setting up PB10-ISD questions (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well finally pulled the trigger on the PB10 today. I would have deffinately gone for somethign bigger but this price point fits my wallet perfectly. And I know that this will be a quality product. I did have a few questions about overall setup and calibration of this model though. I will be placing the sub in a 12x13 room. The room itself does not have straight flat walls. The wall juts out a foot or so to accomodate some built in DVD shelvesand to hide some wiring and pipes. IThe room is located in a basement with concrete flooring that is carpeted. The walls are constructed of either sheetrock on one side and wood covered concrete on two other walls. The rear of the listening position opens into a small dining area that is 8x13. This area has some type of tile applied over the concrete. To the right of the listening position between the right front and right surround is a small opening into a small kitchen. The ceiling itself is a constant 7' 4" throughout this entire area. I was just wondering if there was anything in particular about my setup that I should look out for when setting up the sub. Also I have Avia but is there anything else I should get to make sure that I am getting the flatest bass in my listening area? Thanks for any advice you might have! And also I ordered today Sunday 1/2 any hope of it getting here to NY by Friday?

I'd suggest the crawling method. Put the sub in your normal listening position, play your favorite bass heavy music and crawl around to any spot you're willing to place it. Keep track of which areas sound best to you and you'll have a good place to start.

As for shipping, Ordered mine 12/26, showed up 12/29 and I'm on LI.

I used an old Yamaha YST-SW80. I'm not even comfortable calling it a subwoofer. It's extension really wasn't much better than my Infinity RS 2000.6s, and that isn't saying much.

The PB10 on the other hand has been nothing but a pleasure so far. I just watched i,Robot and the PB10 handled everything with authority. It just added so much to the overall enjoyment of the film. I've been so used to turning the volume down during action scenes because all the bass would turn into an boomy ear straining mess. But now I find myself wanting to turn it up. Such a shame I have people living below me. :frowning:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The PB10-ISD will do phenomenal in a room that size, Michael.

I recently evaluated a PB10-ISD in a room about the same size as yours and I found the output at the lowest frequencies so strong that they really need taming with an equalizer.
Get a BFD parametric equalizer. Unless you have a really problematic room, that’s the best way to flatten response.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Unfourtunately my girlfriend and I live in a rather spacious basement apartment but you can easily hear it upstairs. But our landlords are elderly and extremely deaf. Occasionally I'll visit upstairs when watching something loud and just ask "can you hear that?" it's always a no thankfully.

And Wayne where can I pick up one of those? And is ther someplace I can read up on how to use it? Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A popular place is zzsounds.com. However, if you do a Google search on “Behringer Feedback Destroyer” you’ll no doubt find plenty of other places.

You might want to do the same search on this forum, along with keyword “BFD,” to find out other's experiences. You’ll get enough reading material to last you for days – no kidding.

In the mean time, here is a before-and-after subwoofer response chart from a BFD user, Sonnie Parker. He’s the creator of the BFD Comprehensive Set-Up Guide. You’ll definitely be wanting to study that if you get one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well it shipped! That was darn fast! I will deffinately have my impressions up by the weekend. I'm going to see if I need that BFD too!

MichaelPR

Second Unit
WOW. It came! It is alot bigger than I had expected! Any my god it is heavy. The sound is so clean and clear I can lissten at louder levels. I listened to the Matrix Revolutions today. One of the scenes with the water bubble was INCREDIBLE. I felt like i was being sucked in and my butt shook. I'll have a bigger review up by the weekend. I'm noticing a dip between 100-90....my crossover is set at 80 should I jack it up to 100? Other than that I am getting extremely flat response all the way down to 25.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Other than that I am getting extremely flat response all the way down to 25.
__________________________________________________ ____

Congrats Michael and it's always nice to to share in a new users experience. I'll be looking forward to your more detailed assessment you speak of this weekend.

I noticed the mention of extremely flat down to 25Hz. I'm wondering if you are going to be able to jockey the PB10-ISD around a little to see if you can achieve relatively flat down to 18Hz? It definitely has the capability but every room response varies to some degree as with different placement.

Increasing the correction value as you go lower will be required to get a true pic of your response. You might be running relatively flatter down lower if you forgot to do so??

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I moved it around and found an even better location with response flat down to somewhere below 20....I am still having that stupid drop off between 90 and 100 though. I tried fidgeting with the receivers crossover but it doesn't really seem to do anything.

Well the product is just awesome. I could not believe how big the box was that it came in. I was also suprprised by the sub itself even though the dimensions were posted on the SVS site. It is quite impressive. My girlfriend doesn't even notice that I have it in our TV room though! So I guess that is good. I still can't get over that track on Matrix Revolutions. When the water bubble was getting sucked back in I felt like I was being sucked in with it as my couch shook away. This is a real value in my mind. I think since the lower frequencies are so much cleaner and clearer I can play my movies and music and much louder and enjoyable levels than previously.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I moved it around and found an even better location with response flat down to somewhere below 20....I am still having that stupid drop off between 90 and 100 though. I tried fidgeting with the receivers crossover but it doesn't really seem to do anything.
__________________________________________________ ___

Excellent. Sounds like you have a little null going for ya. I have one between 45-55Hz. I would rather have yours though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks