setting up new Piano Plus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter.LeBlond, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Peter.LeBlond

Okay, the day finally came Friday and i got my Piano Plus "demo unit" from my dealer. Turns out they never used it, so I got a really cool deal. I turned it on and sure enough, 0 hours on the bulb, 0 hours on the life timer.

So I began to set it up by building a mount for it, which I think turned out really well. Spent $7 on a piece of lexan, and about $3 on bolts and it's hanging upside down and very happy. And I'm happy because I didn't plunk down the $260 that Plus wants for their ceiling mount. After mounting it and setting keystone, I masked off my already white wall and painted a black mask with a 1.42:1 AR to accomodate both 4:3 and 16:9 images.

So here's where I'm having questions. First of all, there is a black pixel on my unit. Is this normal, and more importantly is this something that the manufacture would do anything about? I asked in a post a long time back when I was researching the technologies and I heard that DLP doesn't have dead pixels, or that it is extremely rare, or something along that line. Taking the fact that this was a demo unit out of the equation, is a dead pixel something that one has to take a chance with when choosing DLP? Any chance you think that they might fix the unit? Even after watching it all day it only has 9 hours on it.

Issue #2. I'm having a devil of a time calibrating it. My friend brought over Avia and ran thru the tests while I was not in the room, and I really liked the image when I came back, but then we put in Blade and I realized how extremely messed up it was. The color was jacked WAY up and the red is bleeding really bad. The red credits on black were just all blurred together. He had most all of the picture settings turned way up. How does one go about configuring a DLP projector with standard video test patterns...a link to more information would be really great. I tried to run thru the Avia patterns myself and could only get rid of the bleeding red by turning down the color and then everything looked faded and drab.

To give you just a little more info that might be helpful, I have it set up on a white wall at almost 14' (a little far for the 450 lumens I know) giving me a 4:3 image in the neighborhood of 120", not too sure of what the 16:9 image is, probably around 100" (I'll measure it later). I realize that this is streching the limitations of the projector to say the least, but I am willing to live with gray instead of deep blacks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

In terms of the dead pixel, call plus and tell them about it. They should have a replacement policy. I'm not sure if they'll give you a new unit, or simply replace the DMD chip.

You should try the calibration with the screen size about 80" or smaller (80" is the max suggested size). It'll be easier to calibrate that way.

When you calibrate, is one color especially strong?

3. Peter.LeBlond

All the colors are very bright, but it is the red bleeding that is the biggest (or most obvious) problem.

So you are saying that if I set it up at 80" it will be easier to get the settings correct? If I do that and then put it back at the rear of the room will the settings still be correct?

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Yes, that is correct. Give it a try, and see if any of the settings change from what looks optimal now.