Setting up my RP-91 and some operational questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce White, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

What settings should I use on my RP-91 when hooked up to my new Mitsubishi 55819 [​IMG]?
    My connection is via component cables (Monster III). I have set the TV type to CRT and 16:9. I've enabled Bitstream rather than PCM. I have progressive scan activated when viewing DVDs. The pictures in the menus on the Star Wars: Phantom Menace DVD look kind of "chunky". Some of the video does also.
    Are there other settings I should change?
    When selecting a scene from a DVD, is there a quick way to get back to that index on the DVD after viewing the scene? The only way I've been able to do it is to stop the DVD and drill my way back to the scene selection index. Any suggestions?
    Do I need to make any other audio connections other than the digital coax out from my RP91 to the digital coax in on my Integra 5.2 receiver? The receiver is capable of both Dolby Digital and DTS decoding.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions!
    Bruce

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use the following settings:

1. Deinterlacing to AUTO2 (I think it's in the U menu settings)

2. TV type - standard (Toshiba 56H80 16x9 RPTV)

3. Black Level - darker (although I do not think it has any affect on a progressive signal with the newer firmware).

4. Still mode - frame

5. Dimmer - auto (shuts off the blue progressive scan light after a few seconds).

6. DTS - bitstream

7. Adjusted multi-channel speaker levels for DVD-Audio, using a Radio Shack SPL meter.

8. TV aspect ratio - 16:9

I leave everything else at the default setting. FYI, if you ever upgrade the firmware on your RP-91, all settings will return to their default, including the speaker levels. Make sure you write down your changes before upgrading the firmware.

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

And, Stacy Spears says to set the Contrast to -1

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

5. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

That -1 Contrast recommendation applies only to the interlaced outputs. Stacey didn't measure the progressive.

Steve