What's new

setting up HT in a preexisting room. (1 Viewer)

cathymoviegal

Auditioning
Real Name
Cathy MD
Hi All, This is such a great forum! So much to learn...I just joined today and wanted to run something by you: We are planning to build a smallish theater room in our existing basement (12'x12' size room) . We have our eyes set on the Epson 3010e wireless 3d projector. Very excited about it. We would like to do three things: a) Watch 3D and regular movies b) play Wii games c) Watch cable :) (Football!!) We were planning to set it up wirelessly using the Samsung HTD6500 home theater system and a 120" Elite Projector screen. A second option would be to set it up using the Wii player. Wii has a 3D DVD player, and so then I guess we would need a wireless transmitter (?) in that case. Do you guys see any problems with the first setup? Would it be wiser to go Option 2 and build using all separate components instead of a one stop HT system? I've seen a lot of configs with media PCs and AV receivers but unfortunately those were turning out a bit more pricey for us at this time. We also want to add theater seating (2 rows of four chairs each). Does it sound like two rows are one too many for this size room? Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments. Best Cathy

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know anything about projectors, Wii, wireless or how many rows of chairs is too many :) but I do know you should go the seperate component route rather than the all-in-one systems. Those htib's do offer a nice set of features and components for the money but not without issues. If one pert breaks, like the subwoofer or Bluray player, then you probably have to replace the whole thing - speakers, sub, receiver/bluray player. They also have fewer inputs and outputs than regular receivers do. And the speakers and subwoofer will be where they really save money. I know wireless sounds like a great idea but the components are usually not that great. A receiver/speaker package from Onkyo (like the HT 5400) and a stand alone Bluray player will far out-perform most any htib. Ac4l.com sells Onkyo factory refurbished items with a one year factory warrant and can save you a little money http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5400/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-ipod/iphone/1.html The speakers and subwoofer still aren't the best but they will be much better than what comes in the htib's. Add a $100 Bluray player from BestBuy, etc (or use the Wii if you can). I can understand your wanting wireless but we're all about the best performance for the money around here. The cost of wireless just takes too much of the performance out of the equation.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
cathymoviegal said:
Hi All, existing basement (12'x12' size room)...... 120" Elite Projector screen.
That screen is WAYYYYY too large. Here's a screen calculator - http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html . When seated, my eyes are the recommended 11.5 feet from my 103" screen. If you can squeeze 7 feet of distance on your first row, then your screen should be right at 62".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Robert is right. A 120" screen is ridiculously too large. And having 2 rows of seats is also out. Even if you place your seating right against the back wall, you're seating distance will be about 10'. That means a screen screen size of about 90" diagonal maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks