What's new

Setting up home audio system piece by piece (1 Viewer)

outerspacer

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have been reading it and it seems like you know what you are talking about.
So I thought I should ask you for an advice on how to setup a home audio system over a period of time.

Basically, I just moved in, so I am on a budget. I was thinking of getting an AV/receiver + a pair of speakers and then later add the remaining items to have a complete 5.1 system. If it does not make sense, don't hold back, just say it:)

What would you recommend I buy? Budget for speakers + receiver is under $1000, the lower the better as long as you deem the equipment recommendable.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AVR choice boils down to what you need. Needs are split into what your sources are(which are?) to get the inputs you need and what stuff you'd like(2nd zone, internet apps/remote).So tell us that and we can start throwing AVR ideas your way.As far as speakers, the least expensive, non-junk, are Infiniy Primus, Pio AJ, BIC DV, Polk Monitor and Fluance. There are others, but those 5 will keep you busy.

outerspacer

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
Thanks for the reply. I have a Panasonic Viera HDTV, image is great but the sound is tiny. In addition I stream a lot of music from my phone so Bluetooth is a must have. I may get a blue ray player as well.I'd like a system that is extensible so 2nd zone and streaming apps would be nice to have.I like the style of Polk audio M20. The silver matches my TV. Is that a good choice?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaker choice boils down do what you like when it comes to listening, nothing more...nothing less.

My bedroom theater uses Polk. The S6(which I think the S was Polk's beginner line, just like Monitor is now) main, "some" Polk center(single tweeter and woofer in a canted arrangement, same tweeter though as the S) with a pair of Polk M5(M3???) in white.

I think I paid a grand total of $100 for all 5 speakers. None of them are newer than 15 years young.

outerspacer

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
Looks like the prices went up since. On the website the cheapest speaker is $169!Is Polk a brand commonly found in audio stores? I want to hear how they sound.What are your recommendations for avr?

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Polk brand is very common in stores. I've run into them in BestBuy. They tend to be pricey at the store. I general order them online. BIC America is the best bang for the buck in speakers I've found to date. I love them. They sound and look great.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

DFASAPOST

Auditioning
Kevin Collins said:
Dear DFASAPOST,As one of the owners I just wanted to take the time to personally welcome you to Home Theater Forum. While HTF has been on the Internet since 1997, we take new members seriously and want you to have a great experience. Please take a moment to introduce yourself here. There are also a lot of helpful links there.Whether you are looking for the latest deals, want to hear what our reviewers or experts like Robert Harris have to say about the latest DVD and Blu-ray releases or get ideas for your home theater you have come to the right place to join in on the conversation. If you have feedback on ways that we could improve, please let us know, otherwise we hope that you enjoy the forum!Glad to have you here!Kevin Collins
Great to be on board. Hello to everyone from the land down under, Australia. Great reads and honest support for the novices. As my user name suggest, "I'm deaf as a post". Over 5 decades of having my listeners glued to the speaker grills. Not much of a specs geek but currently running old school trade tools: Rotel RSP 985, Rotel RMB1095, B&W for two Channel audio switching to Onkyo TX-NR 808 pre and Dali Ikom 8 for movies. Can't afford better speakers just yet but I'm working on it. Thanks for having me on aboard. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks