Setting up first home theater---need help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob Elliott, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Bob Elliott

    Bob Elliott Agent

    Jul 1, 2003
    Likes Received:
    I am remodeling my home and I am seeting up a home theater in the living room and speakers throughout the house. My low voltage guy has given me some choices for teh reciever and amp I will need. I would like to know what you guys would buy and why. Also if you could direct me to places I can get the best prices I would appreciate it.

    This is what he gave me:

    Amp JBP-4000
    Reciver JBAV-325

    Reciever AVR-983

    Reciever R-756

    Amplifier AMP-1230

    What do you guys think? i like the Denon Reciver best. I don't know much about Newcastle. Are they any good. I don't know where to start with the amp.

    What we are doing is runing the home theater speakers directly from the reciver and then using the reciver as a source that will run into the amp. The amp will be plugged into a speaker selector that will control the speakers in the other rooms of the house.


    Bob Elliott
  2. Randy_V

    Randy_V Auditioning

    Jun 18, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Sounds like you and I are looking for the same sort of setup, Bob.

    Are there any multi-channel output receiver/processors out there, or is a separate switching box required to route music to the other room speakers?
  3. Bob McElfresh

    Bob McElfresh Producer

    May 22, 1999
    Likes Received:
    Hi guys. I'm going to move your post over to the Receivers/Separates/Amp fourm for more in-depth responses.

    Some receivers have multi-room capabilities called "zones". I'm not familar with all of these models, but likely they would only have 2 zones. Multi-speaker selector box's are available from Radio Shack/Niles to allow you to create your own setup.

    But keep in mind that you need some type of multi-room control so you can change volume/tracks when in some other room away from the equipment. Some receivers have RF (Radio Frequency) remotes that make this possible. Otherwise you will need to have some type of infra-red extender.

Share This Page