Setting up Comcast internet ... can I do it manually?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ellinger, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

With cable going active in our apartment today, I'll be able to set up our new cable modem. The self-install kit comes with a CD, but I'm assuming all it does is configure your network settings and install a Comcast-branded version of IE. I'm more than comfortable configuring my network settings, and I'd hate to install extra software I won't use/need. Can I set up the cable modem manually without the CD? What's the procedure?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

All you really have to do is set your computer to use DHCP. I've never had to use any of the Comcast branded software.

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I set my Comcast service up manually. The only thing that presented a (minor) challenge was setting up e-mail with Outlook. Normally, their software configures the POP Server information for you - and at the time I set up my service they didn't even list the names of their POP servers anywhere on line! Anyway, to configure your POP client, use the following servers:

Incoming mail: mail.comcast.net
    Outgoing mail: smtp.comcast.net

Other than that, you should be able to just set your machine up as a DHCP client and be good to go!

4. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Just to support what the others have said, you can do it yourself and you should. Never, under any circumstances, install Comcast software on your computer. I made that mistake one time when @Home went under. It took me a week of working to get all that crap off. The servers listed above are correct. The newsgroups are a little trickier but I don't remember how I finally got them working.

I am assuming your cable guy has already come out and gotten the line ready for your modem? I don't really know what they do in the "box" but they were out there for a while doing something.

Doug