What's new

Setting up a Sony STR-DE885 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Roberts

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Sony STR-DE885, and am having some real problems in determining how to set this piece of equipment up properly. The manual seems to be written at a level that if you understood it, you wouldn't need it in the first place. An example is selecting crossover frequencies...although I know what a crossover frequency normally implies, where do I find the correct value to enter into the system? They recommend "changing" the LFE cut off frequency, but give no inclination as to what or why!
I've been unable to get a grasp on the "why's" of what I'm trying to do, and as a result, after I select my sound source, I just end up pushing buttons until I get something that sounds pretty good...definitely not the way it should be done!
Last night I had a movie on DirecTV that was broadcast in Dolby 5.1 - I can't even figure out how to set my receive up to properly play that, or what lights should be lit on the front panel to indicate that everything is working right! (BTW I'm using an optical audio cable between the Satellite receiver which is 5.1 capable and the HT system).
Is there someone out there that can help me cut through the confusion of the Sony Operators Manual, and get my HT system operating the way it was designed to operate?
Thanks,

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As far as the adjustable crossover, you can either let the receiver do it or let the subwoofer do it but not both. The most common setup has the receiver crossoevr set at around 80Hz and the sub crossover set to maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks