What's new

Setting Up a Simulated 11.1 System (1 Viewer)

josephT

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Yamaha HTR-5890 Receiver and some JBL surround speakers. What I would like to do is connect some of my old equipment to it. I would like to take the Front and Surround pre-output of the HTR-5890 and connect them to different Amplifiers.

Here is my planned configuration:

I would take a one pair of Infinity SM150 and connect them to a Yamaha MX-600 Power Amp, which would be connected to the Front pre-output of the 5890.

Next, I would take two pair of JBL SCS200 and connect them to the Front and Rear channel of a Yamaha DSP-E300, which would be connected to the Surround pre-output (one pair) of the 5890.

Lastly (without using any Amplifiers) I would take a pair of the JBL SCS200 and connect them to the Rear channel of the 5890. The center speaker to the Center channel of the 5890. And, a pair of JBL E-10 (kinda like di-poles) to the Presence channel of the 5890.

Do you guys think I am way over my head....ie. the music won't sound good. I won't be able to configure the delay properly on the DSP-E300. I should use the E-10 in the rear channel. All opinions are strongly welcomed.

Here is a link to the configuration I am thinking about:
http: // jamestongol.com / audio.gif

Remove all spaces between the URL's...I am still on trial membership that's why I can't post URLs. But I thought that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t think anyone who hasn’t actually used this configuration will be able to tell you how it will work.

That said, if your diagram is anything close to how you plan to physically lay the speakers out, and if there is a discrete signal coming out of each side speaker, it’s going to tend to blend together and sound like a single source, since they are so close together. If the signals are discrete, you might want to spread them further apart.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

josephT

Auditioning
The surround speakers, not rear surround, are going to be about 4 feet apart. I figured that I was going to set the delay to minimum, just like the room size.

Do you think that adding a receiver and a second set of speakers will throw off the sounds between the rear surround and the two surround?

AllenGTR

Auditioning
Bottom line is it's worth a try, you already have the equipment. If you can setup the rear speakers properly they might create a nice immersive effect. But there is a high potential for imaging problems.

Please try it and let us know how it goes...

I would guess that you'd be better off just running 7.1 with PLIIx, but it might make a fun saturday to try it...

josephT

Auditioning
Well, I finally set it up. AllenGTR, you did hit the money.....I had imaging problems with the surround. I changed my configuration to connect the Power Amp to the Front Channel of the DSP-E300 Surround Amp. I then connected the Surround Amp to the Yamaha HTR-5890 receiver.

This set up basically Pro logic the rear surround speakers.

And after all that the new system sounds Amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks