What's new

Setting up a network for Xbox Live...a little help? (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hey, folks. Since my Xbox is in my theater room downstairs and my DSL modem is by my computer upstairs, I am installing a little network to be able to access Xbox Live. The way I'm going to be set up is, I've got a router that will be connected to my computer, my Xbox, and the DSL modem. I've read that that's all I'll need, but I'm not really familiar with LANs and it's entirely possible that I am missing some piece of the puzzle.

Anyway, I have a question about the nature of DSL. When I boot up my computer, my DSL connection is not instantly on. In order to access the internet, I need to go through a connection process similar to dialup, where the modem accesses my ISPs network and logs in. So it's not an "instant-on" connection. My question is, how will this work with Xbox Live? Will I need to fire up my computer and connect my modem to the network every time I want to play? I have read that XBL is as simple as plugging my broadband connector into the back of my Xbox, but it seems to me that I'm going to have to actually open up an internet connection in order for it to work. And if I do open a connection on my computer, how will the Xbox know that I'm connected?

Also, if I do need to initiate a connection to the internet through my computer every time, is there a way to force my DSL to be on all the time? My father-in-law has a cable modem and all he does to access the internet is open a browser. He doesn't need to go through a connection/logon process. Is the fact that I do inherent to DSL, or is this configurable? Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated...

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
When you're using residential DSL, you have to go through the connection process in order to get online. This is different with cable and business DSL. It's always on, no dial up.
I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think it has to do with the fact that you're using your phone line for DSL and as a regular phone line. I'm sure someone else can explain it, but that's the way it is.

You should be able to configure your PC to automatically dial your DSL whenever you start the computer.

Yes, you will have to make sure the main PC has connected the DSL before you can use the XBOX online.

As far as how to set the network up.....you should be good with just a hub and the wiring. You'll wind up with your DSL having to run through your PC in order to give service to the rest of the network.

One other thing you could do is put a PC in your HT and connect it to the network, then you could use that PC to dial your DSL via the main PC. It's just a matter of settings.

But your main PC will have to be on and connected any time you use the XBOX online.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Whoa, that was fast. Thanks, Mike! That's pretty much what I figured. Oh well, no big deal, the main computer is on most of the time anyway.
Appreciate the quick response, sir. :)

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Dunno if that's an entirely correct assesment. There's been no mention in the beta emails, that I recall, that a PC is required to participate in Live. What are the system reqs for the PC acting as a gateway? What are the OS reqs? What if someone has a Mac or Linux? Do they need to pick up a WinX OS to use Live?

I'd be willing to bet that there'll be some form of login settings on the xbox, just like there is on your 'puter, and all that's required is to enter your login info on the box. Depending on your DSL modem, all you should need is a hub and some cat 5.

.02 /off

I don't have DSL, I have cable, so I'm not sure about this, but my Linksys router has an area where you put in your DSL logon information, and IT logs into the DSL connection for you. So, if this is the case, your computer would not have to be on.

Glenn

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
If you are using your router to dish out IP's to your pc and xbox you may be able to just configure your router to connect and always stay connected, or to reconnect if dropped. This way your pc and xbox will always have a live connection.

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
What model router do you have? I find it surprising that you have to log on to your DSL to get a connection. That was one of the benefits of DSL or a cable modem: constant on connection.
DSL works across your phone line, but it uses a part of the frequency spectrum that is above regular voice signals. It should not interfere with your phone's operation in any way, and vice versa.
A really good source for LAN related questions is www.practicallynetworked.com

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
What model router do you have? I find it surprising that you have to log on to your DSL to get a connection. That was one of the benefits of DSL or a cable modem: constant on connection.
Not really. It sounds like Dave is running "PPPOE" Or "Point-to-Point over Ethernet". Basically, think of it as "Dial Up DSL" - it's by far the most common way now that residential DSL is sold. With PPPOE, you need something to 'create your connection and maintain it w/ your logon info. Dave is currently using a software adapter for this - but he _SHOULD_ get something Netgear RT311 or similar router (as mentioned above) that will handle this connection. This will work in conjuntion to your current DSL modem and handle all teh connection work for you. You would no longer need to dial up from your PC to create a connection - everytime there is outbound traffic - be it from your PC(s) or Xbox, it would open the connection and maintain it for you.

Dave - do you have a USB DSL modem? It's easier if you have an Ethernet one - not sure if there is a router out there that handles USB, otherwise you might need a bit different solution.

If you've got an ethernet based modem, it's pretty simple. Just run a cable from that to your router. Then, if you get say an RT314 which has a 4 port hub, you can then plug both your PC & Xbox into it. You woulkd then configure your router w/ all your current dialup info and then I'd un-install the dialup software from your PC to be safe..

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Damn you guys are smart.
I actually just got back from purchasing a router not 10 minutes ago. I got a NetGear RP614NA, mostly because a friend recommended NetGear over Linksys. I have an Ethernet modem, not a USB, and PPPoE sounds quite familiar (I'm at work now, but I am pretty sure that's how I set it up, lo these many months ago).
If the router I just picked up can handle the connection for me, that's pretty sweet and that sounds like it will solve my "problem" (not that turning the PC on to play XBL is really a problem, just more of a nuisance).
Here's the link to the router I just bought. I am not sure how to verify that it can handle the connection for me. I actually went looking for the RT311, but this was the only NetGear one that C-USA had in stock.
Again, thanks for everyone's input. It's refreshing to be able to ask basic questions in an internet forum without being snickered at.

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Good choice in routers. I have had bad experiences with Linksys in the past. Nothing major, but I prefer Netgear.

At first glance, it looks like the router will automatically log on to your DSL for you when you set it up. At the very least, it will detect your XBox's quest for a connection and then initiate the connection with your DSL. At the worst, it will probably detect the connection closing and re-establish it for you. I think you'll be fine. If you have any problems setting it up, come on back here and we'll help you out.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Thanks, Brian, I'll let you all know how I make out installing the router.
Great link, by the way. The article on PPPoE basics was very helpful, and I'm wasting lots of my boss' money going through the other articles on the site right now. :)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've set up that router in May for a friend. Really nice & drop dead easy to setup. You can also use the firewall functions - great, especially if a vulnerability is found in the Xbox once we get them up on line. :) Good choice.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
A friend of mine at MS suggested that MS was working with Linksys on creating an X-box branded wireless access point router to work with the X-Box and your broadband internet connection. Basically a wireless router to plug in with the modem......then a receiver module that plugs into the ethernet of the X-Box.

This might elieviate the headaches of running long wire runs throughout the house. Of course....this can all be done without needing to buy a specially branded X-Box wireless connection. Any 802.11b WAP would work.

Just some food for thought.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I am also using a NetGear router on the recommendation of one of my company's IT managers (who also set it all up for me). I have had zero problems.

Chris

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine at MS suggested that MS was working with Linksys on creating an X-box branded wireless access point router to work with the X-Box and your broadband internet connection. Basically a wireless router to plug in with the modem......then a receiver module that plugs into the ethernet of the X-Box.
So basically they are going to put a wireless router and a bridge that they already have in the same cardboard box and slap an xbox logo on it and charge you 50-100 more and certify it as "XBox Ready"?

James St

Supporting Actor
I just bought a Linksys router today for $60 plus a $10 mail-in rebate. Connecting it was easier then I thought. I made the cable connections and that was it. I figured I would have to change the MAC and do some configuring.

Sol_N

Grip
Dave (and anyone else in a similar situation):

I was in the exact same situation as you were just a few days ago. I have Verizon DSL, which required me to log on through PPPOE every time. Compared to my previous Cable Modem account, this was pretty annoying. I also have a Linksys 4-port router (but almost any recent Linksys router or newer Netgear router should do).

I read through the online help pages and noticed that you can, like others have said, set up the router so that it logs on to the dsl account for you. Anyway, I went into the configuration page for my router and set it for "PPPOE" and entered the user name and password for my dsl account. Suffice it to say, I was very happy to see that my computers connected to the internet through the router perfectly without having to log-in (just like before with my cable modem). I'm certain my Xbox will work as well when hooked up.

As for your wiring situation, there's 2 things you could do... cheap way- just send a looong ethernet wire from the router to the Xbox... expensive way- set up a wireless connection to your Xbox for around 300-400$.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
As for your wiring situation, there's 2 things you could do... cheap way- just send a looong ethernet wire from the router to the Xbox... expensive way- set up a wireless connection to your Xbox for around 300-400$.
Also depending upon the physical locations of your router and the xbox you may be able to go through the wall. Are there cable jacks close to eachother on opposite sides of the wall? You may be able to use existing holes for electrical or cable or phone to go right through the wall. Or you could cut through the wall, go get 2 faceplates with the appropriate connectors on them and do it that way. I go the cheap route...i've got a long cable out of my router underneath a bed in my computer room where it hooks into a hub. Then I've got 2 more long cables out of that along the wall under the door frame, around a corner and under a couch. When I need one I just reach down and plug in. Then when I'm done I just shove it all back under the couch.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the replies. I actually took care of the wiring a week or so ago--I ran two Cat5 lines up to the area where my computer is (one for the computer and one in case a friend comes over with a second Xbox and we want to get a system link going), and a third Cat5 cable to where my Xbox is. All three lines are terminated in a Cat5 punchdown block in my crawlspace, where the DSL modem and the router are eventually going to live. That will be my pathetic "data center".
Anyway, I tried to set up the router over the weekend and was ultimately unsuccessful. A little story, first: aside from the Cat5 cable, I am also rewiring all of the phone line in my house with Cat3 stuff because for two years my internet access through first a dial-up and then a DSL modem has been spotty. Often my connecting software will tell me that it can't connect to my ISP's server, and even more often when I connect, I have numerous freezes where transactions will not go through and I have to wait for it to "unfreeze". At $50 a month, this is annoying to say the least, but so far my DSL tech support has been unable to help much. They did say I had a "dirty" line, and after looking at the tangled mess that the previous owners of the house left of the phone wires, I can believe it. So I am running new phone wire at the same time in hopes that this really is the problem.
Anyway, as I said I was unable to get the router to connect, but I uninstalled the router and got a bunch of "Could not contact server" messages from the regular connecting software. So I really can't tell if I had a router problem or just the same old mystery problem.
I hope to be finished with the phone re-wire sometime this week (have to figure out how to get the line out to the side of the house where the phone line connects from the pole). Until then, it seems fruitless to continue to wrestle with the router, but I do appreciate everyone's feedback so far and I will update my post with my progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks