What's new

Setting up a home cinema (1 Viewer)

jw5453

Auditioning
Real Name
Jun Wei
Hello from Singapore!

This is my first time setting up a home theater and I am totally clueless as to what I should be looking out for.

The theater would be roughly 800sqft which is a dedicated room with sound proofing just for the movies.

First time and setting up a mini cinema already?... Disastrous I know!

Therefore I would really hope the kind people here could educated a little newbie me :D

I think the first thing i really want to know is what kind of speakers/amps/subwoofers etc etc should I be looking for in order to have a close-to-cinema effect?

Are those standing speakers/amps/subwoofers/etc etc i see in showrooms (usually used for smaller living room theater) actually sufficient for a 800 sqft mini cinema?

Or should I get equipments like Kiplisch THX ultra 2? or even Mcintosh?

Please forgive me if I sound like a fool... I am really new to this....

Do help me

Cheers,

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Welcome to the forum, Jun. I'll let the technical experts share their wealth of knowledge - I would suggest checking out several of the active threads - looking through the posts and pictures of fellow HTFers who are building (or have built) their home cinemas (it would be valuable to check out the hardware they are choosing), and even checking out some of the hardware reviews that have been posted on the site.

Good luck and welcome again.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Most of the better speakers discussed around here can handle performing in that space. You'll definitely want a very good subwoofer (or two). Give us an idea of your budget. Also, how will the romm be decorated; is it being used exclusively for a HT and can set up accordingly?

jw5453

Auditioning
Real Name
Jun Wei
Thanks for the advice.

The 800 sqft (Sorry I can't give you guys the exact measurements just yet but 800 sqft is rougly the size) room will be a cinema just for movies and nothing else. Floors, walls, ceiling will be carpeted.

Currently, I am sourcing for a sound system first and leaving the projector and screen a little later.

I've been looking around the internet and found a few good reviews and particularly interested in the Klipsch THX Ultra 2. I realized that Klipsche THX Ultra 2 does not come with an AV Receiver.... would that be a problem for a room of the stated size? or should I get one?

I understand that the internet can be sometimes misleading so I would be heading down to the dealer in Singapore to give it a test.

I will also be visiting Definitive Technology to check out the Mythos ST series to see if I like it.

I am open to other brands available in the market, so do recommend me some and do let me know the pros and cons.

I think a particular doubt that has bugging me is that, what is the difference between speakers such as THX Ultra 2 (wall mounted), and floor standing speakers, for a cinema environment especially.

Lastly, I think my budget would be around USD40,000 for just the sound system and the projector + screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks