Setting up a 2-channel system (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_T, Dec 6, 2001.

1. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to set up a 2-channel system in my room to go along with my current set-up, for which the audio end consists of:

Denon AVR-3802

Paradigm Studio 40s (fronts)

Paradigm Studio 20s (rears)

SVS 20-39PC

Sony 300 disc megachanger

If possible I'd like to continue to use the Sony megachanger, as it is incredibly convenient, especially with my Pronto. I'm not sure if that means I'd have to get an external DAC, or whatever, but if possible I'd like to keep using it.

I'm not set on using the Studio 40s up front, but I wouldn't mind switching the speaker connections between the 2-channel setup and the HT setup and using the Studio 40s for both.

My total budget for this is $4000 +/-$1000. However, I should add that I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible, unless I'm significantly sacrificing sound quality. So I guess I would need a 2-ch preamp, amp, maybe a DAC, maybe a separate CD player, maybe a new pair of speakers. I would not mind buying used. Also, I am not interested in SACD or DVD-audio, as neither format has any music that I would listen to consistently.

I saw a Proceed Pre (2-channel pre-amp) and a Proceed Amp Two on audiogon, each for ~$1000. Any good? I was thinking maybe something like that either with the Studio 40s or new speakers. But I am incredibly open here, and will be doing some serious research and auditioning. This purchase will probably begin in March and continue through June/July. So please, I'd appreciate any and all advice you guys can give. Thanks.

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

If you are going to integrate 2-Channel with HT (like I do) then I recommend the following:

1) Get a 2-channel pre-amp you like - hopefully with an HT pass-thru, although this isn't a requirement (I don't have HT pass-thru and just balanced the L&R speakers for HT with the 2-channel preamp's volume at 12 o'clock).

2) Take the main L&R preouts from your receiver and route them to your 2-channel pre-amp AUX-IN.

3) Connect anything you want (TT, CD, tapedeck, etc.) to the 2-channel pre-amp's other inputs.

4) Connect the L&R out from the 2-channel pre-amp to your Denon L&R amp in or an external stereo amp.

When you play 2-channel, nothing goes thru the HT preamps digital processing, since all the music sources are connected to the 2-channel preamp.

When you play HT, the 2-channel preamp is just passing the main L&R signals through to the amp channels.

This uses the same speakers for both 2-channel and HT, and you don't have to go around switching speaker cables.

BruceD

3. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

James, look for a pre with HT by-pass. This will let you use your new amp and pre amp with your receiver and not have to switch wires.
    I have to recommend you check out some tubes. I listen to the nOrh CD-1 and it pretty much kicked my Adcom changer. And I was one of those guys that thought Cd players sound much the same. The sound stage increased easily by2-3 feet. The air and presence was just better. The Odyssey Stratos seems to be the amp for $1100.
    Check out www.harmonicdiscord.com there a lot of guys there that have HT systems built around a 2 channel system and are better versed in the area than I am.
    Good luck and enjoy

4. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

Wow those some very fast and very enlightening replies. Thanks.

Bruce:

I wasn't aware that I could do that. So I take it then that for both my music system and HT system the front channels would be amplified by whatever external 2-channel amp that I get?

Rich:

I'll check out that website. I can't audition the Odyssey of course, but I've been looking at that amp online for some time and will certainly consider it.

Please keep the replies coming, and thanks again.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

James,

Yes, you can use any kind of amplification you want for any of the 5.1 channels you use for HT. If your Denon has pre-outs and amp-ins (usually connected by a small jumper plug) for all 5 channels, you can substitute any kind of amplification by using the Denon pre-outs to outboard amps.

BruceD