What's new

Setting Up 2 Channel Audio with 5.1 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Steve Won

Auditioning
I've got a Denon 1801 receiver with a Denon DCM 370 CD Changer which I would like to set up as a 2 channel stereo system.

I've got a couple of Acoustic Research M1 bookshelf speakers which will do for now with a PSB 8" sub.

I'm not sure if I should set up this sub similar to a 5.1 config with the sub plugged into the sub output of the receiver or if that output would only be used when there is a Dolby Digital or DTS signal and would be totally bypassed with the stereo set up.

Or should I pass the L & R outputs from the receiver to the sub and then connect the speakers to the sub as the sub has the connectors for this config. I assume with this config, I should set up the speakers as large and let the sub manage the signal it passes to the speakers.

Thanks.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
it's not clear what you're asking, but if you mean the pre-amp level outputs on the receiver, then no, you can't get power to the speakers like that. if you mean using the speaker-level outputs on the receiver, then yes, you can connect it like that and use the sub's crossover. and yes. you're correct, in that instance you'll want to set the receiver up with 2 front speakers ONLY, set as LARGE, and SUB OFF.

EDIT: in this instance, you can connect with either an analog connection or the digi coax connection, depending upon which components' DACs you wanted to use.

try it both ways, if you're not certain. if that receiver has a single fixed crossover point, then using the sub's crossover instead of the receiver's may offer you a little more flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks