What's new

setting up 2 channel audio system-floor stand or bookshelf ? (1 Viewer)

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I am setting up a 2channel system and was wandering should i go with floorstanders or really good bookshelfs some suggestion would help

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2ch, music only, my choice would be good floorstanders, no sub.

What will you be powering them with and what price range?

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
i just picked up a rotel 1050 stereo reciever. I still have paradigm v1 studio 80 should i use them or go for something new. i was looking at b&w 704s.Is there anything which isnt in that price range thats good. really deep bass is not that important but i still want good foundation of bass.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For that price, I would say you won't see a dramatic difference over the 80s, unless you are not happy with them. Maybe check audiogon for some CDM-7NTs?

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
what would be a nice step up from the 80s.I have a full suite of nautilis speakers in the home theater 804s htmlcenter and surrounds my question is should i move the 804s to the stereo setup. what would i replace the fronts of the home theater with.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I feel the 7NTs will be a step up. The GRs I listed would be a definite step up, but they are more than $1K without shipping. I have not heard the Totems, but I'd expect they would as well, based on reviews.

804s would make great mains in a 2ch system, but replacing them would be even more expensive.

There are a few pairs of 7NTs on Audiogon for $1K-$1200 right now.

If quality matters more than bass, then you might take a look at bookshelf speakers such as the GR A/V-2s (ask them about shipping you a demo pair), or some used 805s.

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
thaks for the help john i think ill stick with studio 80s for now and decide latter on. they should do a good job for now.

Scott_N

Second Unit
For $995 retail you could get the Von Schweikert VR-1. It's a bookshelf with a very nice midrange and good bass for a two-way bookshelf speaker.

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
i have the studio 80s set up and they still sound pretty good. would i get better performance from nautilis 805s compared to the studio 80s

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks