1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Setting the Internal Crossover on My Hsu VTF-2 Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joel McIntosh, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Joel McIntosh

I'm running my Polk RTi8s (similar to the old RTi70s) L/R fronts directly into the subwoofer and using the subwoofer's (HSU VTF-2) internal crossover (rather than my receiver's crossover -- fronts are set to large in the receiver). The Hsu subwoofer's manual says to set the crossover at approximately the point of the speaker's lowest frequency (-3dB limit). The RTi8 manual says that limit is 40Hz, but this seems too low for the RTi8s (the speakers have 1 tweeter, 2 6.5" drivers, and no woofer). Can anyone with these speakers who is bypassing their receiver's crossover and using the sub's crossover suggest where they set their crossover for the RTi8s?

2. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

you should hypass the polks to around 60hz and then let the sub take care of the rest. Or you can get an SPL meter and determine the lowest point then dial in the low pass crossover to compensate, actually you'll need the SPL meter regardless of anyway your doing it just to make sure its accurate.