Setting Standards For DVD Commercials....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Jan 6, 2001
    Today, I saw two commercials for newly released DVDs. One was for Forrest Gump, and the other for Hannibal. Which one would I buy based on the commercial?? Hannibal of course! Here's why...
    Even though I like Forrest Gump way more than Hannibal, the ad for the 2-disc set left something to be undesired. The announcer had a jolly voice. In fact, the entire promo ran like a commercial for Lady and the Tramp 2: "own it on VHS today (available at Wallgreens and K-Mart)"
    Hannibal, on the other hand, played like a thrilling trailer. When it started, I thought it was a coming attraction for a new movie. They had the awesome deep voice movie guy announcer..."Hanniabal, the definitive DVD." wow!
    I'm here to say that all DVD ads should be like this because after all, most of us HTFers feel that our HTs are better than going to the show, and it just makes the experience more rewarding when DVDs are praised as if they are new films.
    Anyone else feel this way?
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater
  2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Aug 3, 2001
    I see your point, and agree with it. It makes sense that DVD's should be marketed more like a movie is marketed (since that's what it is), instead of like a K-Tel Best-Hits-of-the-80's album. Maybe Martin Blythe should read this thread...MGM's marketing guys have obviously figured out something that the Paramount marketers have missed! [​IMG]
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
  3. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

Nov 16, 1999
    I don't think it makes sense to market or advertise all DVDs in the same manner. Different movies appeal to different audiences and advertising is geared towards that particular target market. Forrest Gump and Hannibal are two very different genres and so it only makes sense that their advertising would be different.
    Personally, DVD ads don't sway me one way or the other to buy the DVD or not. I know way beforehand whether or not I'm going to buy it and no ad, no matter how good or bad is going to change my mind.