What's new

Setting Player and TV to 480p (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I just got a new Mitsubishi WS-65315. I have a Panasonic RP-82 DVD player connected via Component. Now, From what I understand, using the progressive scan option on the dvd player, and having the TV display a 480p native resolution would be the best picture (without controversial upconversion). I just have to set my player to progressive, and make sure my TV is in 480 mode -- right? Are those basic settings, or do they have to be set? I haven't had time tim play with it yet -- I just wanted to see if anyone knew... It looks like my tv does 480i, 480p, and 1080i natively. here's the exact spec sheet:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/common/getfile.asp?uuid={E9CE63FC-C668-412B-B071-2B63E2764D8D}

Thanks,

Matt

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello again...

Ok, i actually had a few minutes to sit down and look through some of the settings on my dvd player (Panasonic RP-82) and new TV (Mitsubishi WS-65315). I went to the setup in the DVD player, and Progressive output was enabled. I decided to disable it to see what happened -- the screen got all wavy for a few seconds, then returned to normal, but now it looked a little more fuzzy (unless it was in my head). then when i enabled it again, there was no screen jiggle or anything to let me know that the setting is now in effect -- it still looks the same... Is this normal? am i missing something -- i just want to make sure that the player is actually sending out the progressive signal...

Also, with big screens -- even when calibrated correctly, there will be some movies that appear fuzzy in parts, and there will be some places with blotching of color/pixels --- correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most TV sets capable of processing a progressive signal will do so without changing any settings on the TV. Some may have dedicated inputs that only accept HD or progressive type signals, but most do not - they just evaluate the signal at reception and process it accordingly. What you saw is probably the norm and you can be 99.9% sure your TV is getting the progressive signal and processing it correctly (especially given the decrease/increase in picture quality and "wavy lines" you saw when you changed back and forth from progressive to interlaced).

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Thanks for the info Jeff -- the problem is, however, that when i switch back and forth now, there is no wavy lines or anything. - so it seems like nothing is changing. And I can't tell if the picture ever went back from the "lower", interlaced signal, even when progressive is enabled. See what I mean? I am afraid it may be stuck in non-progressive mode. What's an easy sign i can look for to test - a jagged or some other tell-tale sign?

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

A good test to check for the difference between prograssive and interlaced is to find a scene that pans across a brick wall or chain link fence. These are notorious for showing the "stuttering" or "jaggies" in an interlaced signal. If the pan is smooth, you are probably watching a progressive signal.

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

Thanks -- i'll check the begining of Ghostbusters -- when they pan across the steps of the Library (with the stone Lions in front). I always remembered seeing terrible "jaggies" there....

Later,

Matt

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The mitsubishi page did not come up in reasonable time so I will just comment off the top of my head.

I suspect the TV really does 1080i only, although it accepts 480i and 480p and 1080i. It autoselects the proper input and upconverts if needed to 1080i.

Most CRT HDTV's actually put only 1080i on the picture tube(s).

So when you are considering using or not using upconversion in a DVD player, all youa re doing is comparing whether the DVD player or TV does a better job of upconverting.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, It does sound like your DVD player didn't want to switch back to progressive output... Not sure, but most displays will tell you what they are recieving when you turn it on, and/or switch input, then switch back.

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello...

I figured it out -- There is a Progressive Out buttom onthe front of the unit. Once that is pressed, i can toggle from the dvd player. If it's not pushed, the toggle within the player does nothing. For some reason it seems that when you toggle the progressive out to off from the internal menu, you physically have to hit the button on the player to turn it back on -- no biggie, it will stay on always now... It's funny, the button has always been there, obviously, but I have never needed it before, So i paid little attention to it...

Also -- Jeff -- even with progressive turned off, the Jaggies that nomally appeared in Ghostbusters were not there -- that's a good thing, however!

Thanks,

Matt!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You obviously have good conversion in the TV. I'd do some A/B'ing of DVD vs. TV and see if there is a difference in quality and go with the best. Congrats, you have the best of both worlds!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks