Setting picture (White) level

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Koch, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

Toss up on whether this belonged in Tweaking or here- figured here.

I have a Sony GWIII LCD projection.

I am having problems setting up the Picture (or white) levels, and was hoping for some advice. I use the DVE, and the THX Optimizer

Setting up the levels for contrast are pretty easy, just dip it down until the one black matches the other. I am pretty sure I have that right. But THX just says to set the whites so you see 4 disticnt white boxes. Well, with this TV, the whoile range from top to bottom of Picture" shows 4 distinct boxes, none with bleeding.

I have set it based on whete I "think" white should be, about 1/8 the way down from the top.

I am just pretty sure I do not have things right. To me, the blacks look "crushed"- black levels below a scertain point seem to fall off rapidly. Also, even though I have contrast set correctly (I match the black levels, and I CAN see the 2.5 and 5% blacks!), in practice, I think this is set to low. Example: beginning of SW:AotC, with the ships streaming in to Courasant... noit a whole lot of stars. I bump the contrast up a bit (which does not agree with THX or DVE), and suddenly I see 3-4 times as many stars. Resetting contrast and changing Picture does NOT givve me these stars.

OK, I know it is hard to diagnose via posts, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You want to calibrate white level so that white juuuust appears white, and no longer a shade of gray. Also keep in mind that white and black level interact, so you will have to go back and forth a bit to get things right on.