What's new

Setting my speakers to small to improve bass response? (1 Viewer)

Andy Kramer

Agent
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if it would be benificial to set all my speakers to small to improve bass response. I am gettin a very good range on my sub from what it sounds but i was wondering if it would help to do some changes. I have read many diffrent variations on what settings that were possible. Or would that not be a good idea. Right now they are all set on large (c, l/r, sr,sl, sb) Or would this only apply to the l/r channels. I have my sub connected line level.

btw i am running, sa-he 100 (receiver), ns-777 (front), ns-c444 (c), ns-a100xt's and my sub is a jbl pb12

thanks for any suggestions

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In the future it might be helpful to let us know the manufacturer of the speakers, as well as giving the model numbers.

Experiment: I would suggest setting both your center and surround speakers to small and also setting all of your speakers (including the R/F mains) to small. I know that the mains are towers, but you might be surprised at the performance of your system with them all set to small.

But, in the end, your environment and your ears will determine what is best for you. Have fun.

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
I have mine all set to small and let the sub do all the work down below. It is harder on a reciever to deliver all the current to a two way speaker and a lot easier to let an amplified sub do all the work.
My set up sounded better after I crossed it over at 100hz, set all speakers to small and turned up the crossover on the sub all the way up to(100hz).
This is what I have learnt from this forum anyways...:)

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Conversly,

If your speakers are rated to dwell in the low mid area, it does not hurt to have them on large.

I have tried my Klipsch RF3II setup on small and large, and prefer the large setting.

Although I also have dual SVS for the bass, I find my Klipsch Reference better sounding, more fuller (IMHO) at the current large setting

David Judah

Screenwriter
There's no easy answer since there are many variables, but in most cases setting all of the speakers to small will give the most even FR down low.

Usually, if it doesn't yield the best response, then there are placement issues with the sub or the sub is not up to snuff(very common with many commercial subs).

It's best to try it both ways, especially if you want more bass for movies because in some rooms setting the fronts to large and sub output to both(LF duplicated in the fronts and the sub)will give more overall impact. Of course, you are going to sacrifice some accuracy that way.

Or, you could build your own "no compromise" sub that gives you the superior impact, EQ it to take out the typical hump somewhere below 80 Hz, set all of the speakers to small, and be in LF heaven.:)

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks