What's new

Setting Crossovers-- Help! (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to achieve as flat a response as possible between my speakers (Polk 6005 sats) and my subwoofer (dayton 10 inch), with an onkyo 502 driving the speakers. The subwoofer is hooked up to the lfe pre-out.

(Yes, I know, it's unusual, and Polk does recommend using a Polk subwoofer, high level outs, and speakers set to large. Tough. I want LFE, and Polk's entry level sub only goes to 50 Hz).
I've been using a radio shack spl meter and Audio Toolbox OSX on my iBook with a Sonica SPDIF interface.

Any suggestions for flattening the response? The dip at 140 Hz is particularly nasty.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have an EQ? That, or some other sort of filter, are the only way you would be able to do much about your response.

The dip at 140hz is because the sats basically don't cover low enough to blend well with most ANY sub. I hate to say it, but the real solution is most likely to start looking for new speakers. If those guys are new, I'd return them.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Your room could be creating that. Move a sat into the middle of the room and measure with the mic as close as posible to the woofer. The dip may go away. Or take asurements from very different areas of the room, or try moving the sub and/or the sats.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy

Do you have the Dayton crossover set to its highest point? If not, that should help fill in the gap.

Oh, what frequency does your Onkyo receiver out cross over at?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Brian. The presence or absence of the notch depends on where the sound is measured from. Perhaps I need to tweak my speaker and/or furniture placement. I'm feeling a bit of a relief now that I know my wallet is a bit safer.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy

What crossover frequency do you have the Onkyo set at?

Those Polk satellites can't go very low at all. I would set the crossover on the Onkyo to 150, and run the Dayton crossover at max extension. The Dayton may be able to fill in the hole at 140.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
150 is a good starting point, the problem with it is you are going to have the sub working in a very localizable range then. You will be hearing mostly the sub, and sounds can become dislocated somewhat. I'd also try 120, just to see how it sounds, and in all cases, the sub's x-over should be at max, though with a higher x-over, you may want to dial it back a bit to trail it off a bit on the upper end. This will result in a bit of a dip, but may help with your 140Hz issue as Arthur says.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks