Setting Crossovers for the Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Cage, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Ronald Cage

Ronald Cage Extra

Hello Everyone, I have two subwoofers for my system.
    The M&K v-1250THx and the Energy ES-10. I set all my speakers to small so the subs can handle all the lows.
    I have been reading that the lowpass filters of my Yamaha
    receiver is 90HZ, and i should set my ES-10 crossover as high as it can go and my M&K to the lowpass setting of 80HZ, so the lowpass filter of my receiver can work properly. Is this correct?
    [​IMG]

2. Royce H

Royce H Stunt Coordinator

Ron, you should set the crossovers on BOTH of your subs as high as you can to get them up out of the way of your receiver's crossover. Cascading or overlapping crossovers can really screw up the sound of your system...

Hope this helps!

Royce

3. Ronald Cage

Ronald Cage Extra

Thank you Royce. That makes perfect sense to me.

It just seems strange to have these Hi-Tech gadgets that needs little or no tweaking at all. I am thinking, I have to make sure one crossover matches the other if that is possible at all and that the volume matches the mains and so on and so on. When all I needed to do is turn a knob!!!

Ah, the simple things.

4. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    IMHO cascading and/or overlapping crossovers MAY screw up the sound. OTOH I've concluded that they may not, depending on the system itself. Experimentation here is the only way to find out. Many DD receivers have set crossovers to the sub that may or may not be ideal for a given setup. And, if a setup has front speakers that can be defined as Large, then the options and complexity increase. I just don't believe that a "one size fits all" answer can apply here. Obviously a good test disc and SPL meter are necessary to determine what works best. Even the LF rolloff of the center and surrounds must be taken into account. Just go for the best compromise your ears and test equipment can figure out and enjoy it.

Greg

5. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

A few people here run dual subs in this manor,run one from 90Hz down to 50Hz,set the crossover on the other sub to run from 50Hz on down,it will take some experimenting to find out which sub is better for what setting,but from what i've read here,the results are supposed to be great.

6. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Jimmy, how do you run a sub from 90hz to 50hz? I know you can cut off higher freqencies, but how do you stop at 50hz without letting anything lower through?

Just curious.