What's new

setting crossover frequency for sub (1 Viewer)

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering, on my Denon receiver, what to set the crossover frequency of the sub at. On the receiver setup, there's three choices to set it at: 80, 100, or 120 hz. The speakers are rated to 60hz. What's the best crossover setting and why?

I'm also wondering how proximity to a bare wall will affect the sound since they're rearported. How close is too close? I don't have much room to move the speakers around.

FYI I have Klipsch SB-1's bookshelves and a Klipsch KSW-12 sub. Thanks for any input...Rick

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try 80 first, then 100 and see which sounds better. The crossover slope will allow sound to go to approximately one octave below it's setpoint, but it diminishes as it goes (slope). Turn the sub's x-over all the way up.

For rear ported, I'd recommend a minimum of 6", but more would be better.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Let me add, 80hz is the recommendation from Dolby and works very well in many cases, they're no dummies, but situations vary. 120hz, that frequency becomes "localizable" to human ears so I would avoid it since you don't want to know where the bass is coming from. 80 or 100 should give you a little overlap that will make the bass more seemless from speaker to sub. Also, if you can disable the crossover do so, otherwise turn it all the way up like John recommended. 6" is good from the wall, but I've had my sub 4" away with no ill effects. It may reinforce the sound or could make it muddier, again, experiment.

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
I should clarify. I was inquiring about the placement of the front(bookshelf)speakers not the sub. I don't really have any room to move them or experiment with. I was just wondering how it might affect the sound of a rearported speaker when placed 6-12" from the wall. Thanks to those who responded...Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks