Setting contrast with Avia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Henning, Dec 30, 2001.

1. William Henning

William Henning Auditioning

When setting the contrast with avia the white or gray horizonal bar across the bottom of the screen is already brighter than the one they give in the simulation and at my lowest setting the two vertical lines start to bend at 2 notches up. The TV pictures are dark. I'm not sure if I should leave it like that or crank it up a bit. Any advice? Thanks in advance. I tried replying to a few people in an earlier post of mine but they didn't get through so if you don't see a reply from me on this one just know that I'm trying. Thanks again, William

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the vertical line (the needle) starts to bend when you are adjusting contrast way down at the lower end, that signifies that the power supply is not as well regulated as on other makes and models. That signifies that your set will be more likely to have the entire picture enlarge slightly but noticeably, possibly throwing off the convergence, when the overall subject matter is quite light. Some folks find that annoying.
    You can go higher on the contrast if you wish.
    There is one other contrast test pattern called the blooming test. If a small bright white rectangle gets slightly larger, or a thin black line on a white background starts to fade, back off the contrast and never go higher.
    The step gray scale test should show all the steps.
    To forestall uneven screen (or CRT face) wear, the suggested maximum contrast setting is 1/3 for projection or 1/2 for direct view.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. William Henning

William Henning Auditioning

Thanks Allen. I ran the test again and watched for blooming VERY close. I think I could detect when it started to bloom then backed off a bit. It's alittle higher than it was but below the half way point. Ran through the other test also to stay in balance and lo and behold, I have a great picture. Sharpness is about 4 or 5 notches up from the bottom, might drop it down a notch. I like the soft look. Brightness is a few notches down from the center. Nothing is above the middle. All in all a good picture. Thanks again, William