What's new

Setting Black Levels on my Wega (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 36 inch Wega from a few years back and when I watch a DVD, or whatever, there's a black bar to the left center of the screen that is noticeable when the screen turns really dark or black.
This annoys me to no end. I'd love my tv otherwise.
The only way I would know how to fix this is to turn the brightness down till the blacks are so black, the bar disappears. ....But then I'd be watching DVDs and barely making people out in dark scenes.

What do I do? I can get to the service menu....can I adjust anything there to solve the problem without creating another?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, the ol' WEGA uneven-brightness problem. Had a friend over last night for some HT fun, and that was one of the first things he noticed on mine. As soon as the movie started rolling, though, he was in bliss.

Not much anything can be done about this flaw. On the upside, though, is that entirely dark scenes aren't that frequent.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
So I'm not alone. But are you familiar with the service menu?
There are numerous settings available within this menu only I don't know how one differs from the other.
I have heard that there is a way to fix the problem, but that actually might require an adjustment inside the tv itself. Sounds a little scary.

You're right though, other then that, the picture is really sharp and colorful. The out-of-box geometry settings are fairly decent too.

-Mike-

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Chucksters method gets you nowhere. To lower the sub-brightness just requires you to increase the picture and brightness again back to calibration level. I would just learn to live with the issue. I have learned to just ignore the Wega flaws and just enjoy the presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks