Setting analog output levels for SACD/DVD-A

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tamer C, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Hi,

I have a SACD/DVD-A capable player connected to my receiver (Marantz 5300) via analog as well as digital. I calibrated the output levels on the receiver for the digital input, but the analog input (for SACD) has separate settings. Do I set the output levels for each speaker on the receiver or on the dvd player? Does it make a difference?

Thanks!

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Tamer,

In your rig, set the levels in the player to "fixxed", assuming you have the choice, and use the trims in the receiver to get channel to channel balance.

I was doing just that with a Pioneer 45A/Marantz SR-96.

Do report back with the type of player you have. What some users have found is that the sub channel level from many universal players is very low (about 10 dB) relative to the main channels. This requires that the trim for the sub channel by bumped up 10 dB to get the levels right.

Also, you would want to use a test disc to make the adjustment. The calibration tones for the sub in some of the players (Pioneer 45A/563) is faulty. You need to use Avia, VE or some other disc.

If you have any DVD-A or SACD discs with test tones, you would ideally want to use those. If not, the DD tones, when running through the 5.1 outs should also work.

BGL

3. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Thanks Brian.

Sorry forgot to mention the player. It is a Pioneer 45A. From what you say I guess I can set that to fixed and adjust the settings on the receiver.

Bad news that the calibration tones for sub are faulty for this player [​IMG] I don't have any dvd-a or sacd discs with test tones. I'll try to get a test disc and just set the analog output on and calibrate.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

FWIW, Chesky has a disc called their Ultimate DVD, which has DVD-A tones, as well as DD tones.

It also has some very helpful tests to check subwoofer phase, and various other parameters. It is a VERY handy disc.

Just be aware however, that the music tracks on the DVD-A side are recorded in 4.0. You may or may not know this, but when using BM in the 45A, it does NOT correctly handle 4.0 DVD-A tracks. It will NOT redirect the bass from the mains to the sub (assuming you have a sub/sat system).

It also will not redirect the bass from the .1 channel to the mains in cases where you have a system with all large speakers and no sub.

I actually run an ICBM with my 45A, which renders those issue moot.

BGL

5. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Thanks, I'll look into Chesky's disc. Yeah I heard about the BM problems. If the dvd-a or sacd is 5.1 and I have a sub/sat system then I should be fine right?

Where can I purchase an ICMB? Who makes it?

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer