Setting a sub with the ratshack meter...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Bogie, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I think I read somewhere that I should set the sub either louder or lower by 3db when using the ratshack meter - Is this true? If so, which one is it?

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

It's really up to the owner user of the system and their taste.

When listening a lower volumes under ref, -15 or so, many find a reading of 3 to 6-db hot on the sub to work quite well. Some run it even hotter, have heard people run the sub as hot as 12 to 15-db. Holy Cow Batman!

Also some are purist and prefer a non hot or cold reading. As the volume goes up toward referance less and less hottness on the sub is usually nesessary, this due to how are ears work with lower frequency. They are less sensitive to low freq at low volumes.

So there really is no solid hard and fast rule, just set it to your low end taste.

Geoff

Edit:
    As Phil points out, at Referance there are bass rules. But most/many don't listen at Referance or have systems that, sub wise are truly capable of it.~(115 to 120db at 20-hz min)~ in your listening spot. This is house destructive bass volume.
    Few systems are truely capable of that, but they are out their!
    I made my comment based on "under Ref listening" and should have made that a little clearer.
    Bass to taste I say.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

The RS meter has decreased sensitivity to lower frequencies, probably 2-4db for a 20-80Hz noise signal. Hence the sub output should be set to an indicated level of 72db for supposedly accurate playback. Of course, the choice of setting here is completely up in the air because you don't know how the movies are mixed (some may be set 4-10db from what one would expect), and the tone of it would only be correct at full reference level because of our decreased LF hearing sensitivity at lower volumes. Maybe Tom V can help with this one, I remember he had a very good discussion about this setting awhile ago.