seting up for new Home Theater

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jessie_, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

Hi i'am a newbie at this. i have a question what speakers go well with OnkyoTX-NR901Home theater receiver with THX Select, Dolby Digital EX, and home networking capability - Reconditioned by Onkyo. Also i was thinking of getting as a subwoofer SVSPC 25-31, and bose cube speakers for front & rear. What's recommended.

2. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"and bose cube speakers for front & rear."

Trust me, Jessie. When this thread is over, you won't be considering Bose any longer. There may be a more over-priced speaker on the market but few have found it. What's your budget for speakers and sub?

David

3. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

Hey what's up, David thanks for the reply. Hey listen for the sub woofer is @ 1,200 & for the front,rear & center is @ 1,000.

Thanks
    Jessie

4. David Bikeman

What are the demensions of the room and are there any openings to other areas? Are you married or living with SO? In other words, does anyone else need to be happy with your purchase?

David

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That's a lot of receiver to run the tiny, crappy Bose cube speakers; a waste IMO.

Very good choice on sub, but the tiny cubes are designed to work when connected to their bass module only (the x-over circuitry is in the module). You would otherwise have to set them with an EXTREMEMLY high x-over at the receiver, and that means your sub will be trying to reproduce frequencies that it doesn't really need to.

Along with room size, what is your budget (USD?) for the speakers alone, not including the sub.

6. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

The demensions are 300 sq ft. Also my budget is @ $1,100 for soround & $1,200 for subwoofer.

Thanks
    Jessie

7. David Bikeman

Those aren't the demensions. That's the area. How high are ceilings? Instead of budgeting separately for sub and speakers, you may do better with a package deal that includes both. That's why knowing the demensions (all three) would be helpful. How much sub you need and how the speakers would be arranged would help determine which way to go.

David

8. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

The demensions are 12x14x18. I need something with extremely good bass, & good sound all around.

Thanks
    Jessie

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jessie..... welcome to the world of HT and a great hobby that will never leave you with extra money laying around!!!

The SVS choice will be a good one for ya. As for the Bose, I try not to bash other's choices but the above posters are right in that there are some much better alternatives that will make your new HT quite a bit better.....

All in all, it will be about enjoying what you do end up choosing.....but just keep in mind.... my sig.........

10. David Bikeman

SVS would be an excellent choice for a sub.
    Here are some other very good choices in your price range.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...mt340mhts.html

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=15.1

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic60.html

Then there's always the "neighborhood" audio store. Good values can sometimes be found there but getting the speakers into your home for an audition can be more hassle than it's worth. I'm not a proponent of in-store auditions. The equipment is different. The room is different. The only place to find what works in your house is to audition in your house. It can be a lotta time and energy to find what works best for you but I enjoyed the process.

David

11. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, that is a nice higher end AVR. It deserves very nice speakers to reveal just how good it is.

You want your speakers to have good bass extension? Or do you want a sub that has great bass extension? The SVS sub will do you proud for sure in the bass area, have no doubt.

What physical size speaker do you prefer? Then we will proceed on. Boss cube sized? Those sized speakers of course are not really known for bass extension is all.

12. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

I need advise in soround,rear,center speakers. Which brands sound nice,clear and crisp budget of $1,200. I'am new @ this. I picked the SVS PB12+2 subwoofer whats a good conbination of speakers for this sub.

Thanks
    Jessie

13. John S

John S Producer

Well that is a great sub.... It would still be good to know what phsyical size your looking for, before making a recomendation on it.

14. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

I'am looking for medium size soround system, the subwoofer it doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Jessie

15. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Yep, bookshelf-inwall-floorstanding??

Brent

Nice Receiver

Nice Subwoofer

BUT those Bose speakers are a bad choice for a room that size and a bad choice overall.

Look at Athena-Paradigm-Ascend ETC

16. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

Hi Brentl where could i check these speakers out what web site. Also are these speakers powerful and great crisp sound.

Thanks
    Jessie

17. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, Here in Colorado, I'd buy them from Recycled Audio. They have excellent new Paradigm pricing.

For checking some Paradigms out in general...
    www.paradigm.com

Recycled Audio, local to the Denver area, lists their current prices on the web at thsi addy.

http://www.recycledaudio.com/speak.html

I really love the line.... A little pricey.

18. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You r best way to find out how they sound is go listen to them.

If they are an internet only company, do a search in this forum and read up!

Brent

Hey, I use Athenas because I find Paradigms are getting a little pricey.

Follow the links earlier in this thread as a starter.

19. Jessie_

Jessie_ Extra

The SVS PB12+2 with ASCENDS ACOUSTICS CBM-170 for rears, CMT-340M for front, CMT-340C for center. Would it do good Damage will it crack my windows.

20. David Bikeman

I have the 340 M's and will soon have the 340C. You will LIKE this set-up. Your sub would eat mine for lunch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

David