What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
I lost a bunch of slaves...
frown.gif

Most of the rest will go offline in about two weeks.
angry.gif

-Mike

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Hey guys. It's been a long time since I ran SETI@home on my computer. I processed 1 unit about 1.5 years ago
and gave up since it wasn't much fun without being part of a group. Just wanted to let you know that I have
re-enlisted to join the fight to catch Purdue.
Go HTF!!!
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Paul Berquam

Auditioning
Welcome to the party Ron. Any help is always appreciated. Just think if we could get 10% of the forum members to do the same even at one every 15 hours... That would easily top over 1000 more per day than we're doing now...

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Thanks fellas. Just glad I can do my part.
Do you have any tips to make SETI process units any faster? I have SETI set to run constantly in the background and I have the screensaver set to go black after 1 minute. Anything else I can do?
At the rate I'm currently going I'll be lucky to process a unit every 30 hours.
frown.gif

------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Ron,
use the command-line processor. It runs things a little faster.
Lots of the guys here can help you with it. Basically, it runs in its own DOS window.
You can also download additional units to keep the machine processing through the night, if you are comfortable doing so. This can speed up throughput.
If you have Win2K, you can also set the processing speed at a slightly higher rate - it is set for dead-last processing out of the box. But be careful there - you don't want to make it the most important process around.
Thanks for joining, and good luck!
Mike

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
According to my stats, my SETI sweatshop at work has just taken me past 3000 units. I'd pour myself a drink if I didn't already have one in front of me.

Chris White

Second Unit
After you pass 99%, it gets progressively tougher to move up. After 99.5%, it gets really tough. I'm currently at 99.698% (9215th place, 4164 units) and have been stuck there for a long time.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Chris White

Second Unit
For the most part, there is a pretty good distance between everyone in the top 10. I actually managed to catch Paul and move up to #7 recently, but then he apparently brought several Cray computers on line and just took off.
We actually passed Purdue University this past Friday and I started to post a standings update. However, I notice that over the weekend they have moved ahead of us. Also, the Picard team made a lot of progress last week and they have almost caught us. Time for another membership drive??

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Chris - I think another membership drive is overdue. Unfortunately, I don't think this thread is generating much new interest. Any ideas on how we can get just 1-2% of the remaining members to join us??? C'mon folks, we can't let a bunch of Star Trek geeks or some puny little University pass us by
wink.gif

------------------
"The Almighty thinks he can get me out of this, but he's pretty sure you're f****d."

Martin Walker

Auditioning
Too late, we passed :), though we are due a minor setback and will have to pass you again
frown.gif

For the record Team Picard has almost nothing to do with trek, pop across and have a Link Removed
jema

Paul Berquam

Auditioning
Too bad they don't have a Win CE client for Seti
I would put it to work on my new iPaq :)
------------------
"He was a good little monkey and always very curious..."

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Shoot! All my computers were down for a week while I was on vacation. Darn power outage
angry.gif
. Oh well, looks like I'll be relinquishing the 9th spot to Wayne here soon. I just don't have the firepower I used to have.
It is indeed time for another membership drive.
Wade (aka Mister Gin)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks