What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

Jim J

Second Unit
I recently joined the team. I've got the 3rd best average time per unit!

I am defecting sort of from Anandtech. I spend all my time here. But I joined HTF with a different name. otherwise Anand loses my unit since I started in January. That doesn't seem fair to me.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Welcome aboard Jim! Always glad to see new, active members!

Well, I moved into 14th place over the weekend. My sloooow climb back up the rankings continues. I don't know how many more spots I'll be able to climb though... there are some large gaps to overcome along with some members who run far more machines than I do. Oh well, all in good fun!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
To think that I was in eleventh place at one time...
Nice work, everybody. :)

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently #6, but also currently idle. Moving to

a new science building during July. However, this is

good news because there is a whole new computational

physics room with speedy new computers that will be

running Seti by August.

MMmmm, mmmm good.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Ok, for all of you super duper WU contributers, how many computers do you have running for your account?!?!
I was just happy to be able to move to 6-8hrs/WU with my new comp compared to 22-24hrs/WU....and then there are those of you who are finishing 6-8WU/hr!!! :)...ok maybe not that many, but it seems like it

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well just for the summer I have 19 AMD 1.4GHz Machines running for me along with my normal pIV 1.8 and PIII 800 so I crunch about 58-60 WU per day :D
However after the 10th of August or so I'll be back down to about 7-8 per day.
-Marshall

Peter Yee

Premium
I'm running on 5 computers. Two laptops (P2 400 and P3 700), a Celeron 900 (my home UNIX server), a P3 933 (my son's computer), and my own P4 2.2. The P4 2.2 really hauls butt. :) I should be doing about 15 WUs/day. So much better than the 4 days/WU I started at (running the screen saver on a Pentium 166).
-Peter

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I'm currently running it on five machines, most of them full time:

P2 400 (Notebook)

P2 400

P3 700

P3 700

Athlon 700

I'm looking to purchase a new machine for home use and hope to line up another PC (maybe two) at work in the near future. I don't see myself cracking the Top 10 ever again, but I would like to stay in the Top 20!

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Just a quick update. I hope no one cares that I removed the "members" of the HTF SETI team that have not contributed a single work unit to the cause. I would also remove people who haven't contributed in the last year or two but if I do we would lose all of the units they contributed. That could include some of our Top 50 members, so the "moldy oldies" stay!

This thread is now nearly 19 months old. It is not the longest thread in terms of total number of posts, but I believe it may be the longest thread pertaining to one subject in the history of the HTF. I posted the original thread in 1999. "Pt. 2" can be found in the vault (better known as the "Software Archive") I was thinking about starting "SETI@home IV" but then thought it might be better to begin a new post when we hit the 250,000 w.u. mark. Any thoughts???

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well I dig your milestone idea, but I think that starting a new thread might help generate some more interest. If there's a new thread we'll all have to say something on it in the first couple days hence keeping it on the first page of AH threads for a couple days.

-Marshall

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Just thought I would pop in and say Hi!:)
Since I have set up my new computer I have been crunching units at around under 5 hrs each...much better than my old box at approx 22 hours..
Soon I will be up in the top 40.:)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
A 1.7 GHz P4 running the command line client will average 5 hours. I know 'cause I got one. But I got only one. The rest of my stable are lesser machines but they make up for it in sheer numbers. :D

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Anthony,
I run SETI@Home on three computers. My home PC, my office laptop and a server I use for product testing (I'm a DBMS product manager for my company). The server is my savior ... it's a 2 node cluster with 2 CPUs per node. Therefore, between the three computers, I've got six instances of the command line client running.
Dennis,
Clean up sounds like the right thing. :)
Anyone notice our new member? Dr Plaid? 4400+ new work units! Welcome!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Hail to the King, baby.
Code:
1) WayneBundrick   14416 18.250 years 11 hr 05 min 23.0 sec Sat Sep 7 17:28:21 2002 United States 
2) Craig S         14413 15.535 years  9 hr 26 min 30.3 sec Sun Sep 1 14:49:53 2002 United States
3) Daniel Whelan   12708 13.804 years  9 hr 30 min 56.9 sec Sat Sep 7 17:23:18 2002 United States 
4) Chris Maynard   10005  8.460 years  7 hr 24 min 25.7 sec Mon Jul 15 11:55:04 2002 United States 
5) Paul Berquam     8204  8.920 years  9 hr 31 min 27.0 sec Fri Sep 6 21:17:35 2002 United States

Chris White

Second Unit
Congrats Wayne. There's been a bit of shuffling at the top lately. It looks like Pat's just a few days from displacing Paul at #5.

Chris White

Second Unit
Not much activity in this thread lately, so it's time to get it back to the top of the pile! There has been quite a bit of shake-up at the top. Wayne "The King" Bundrick has passed Craig in a battle of the power crunchers. Pat S has moved up the list faster than anyone lately but may have trouble moving up another notch since Chris M has resumed processing. I've managed to make it up to #6, but don't have the power to move up any higher.

As a team, HTF is currently ranked a very impressive #146. Most of the teams ahead of us either have a much larger base of active members or have a some MAJOR producers. Overall, I'd say our team performance has been outstanding.

A question ....

As I understand it, the SETI program was originally to have ended last May. I'd be interested in learning more about the long-range plans for this program. How long will it continue? The Berkeley website has this to say:

Due to the incredible response we will be able to extend SETI@home past its initial two year life span. We're planning for SETI@home II now. We may increase our radio band coverage at Arecibo by adding another recorder system. We may add a recording system to a telescope in the southern hemisphere so we can see an entirely different part of the sky. We'll also add new features to our web site showing more details of the process of the analysis process, and show in more detail your personal contribution to SETI@home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks