Set Up Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jame pc, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Jame pc

Jame pc Agent

I just rented the first DVD to test out my Sony receiver, Flight Of The Phoenix.

I had to turn up the level to 10 on the rear and rear center channels just to start to hear any sort of surround sound and it was still difficult to hear any sound out of them. Even when I swapped the cheap surround cube speakers with the Infinity bookshelf front channel speakers it made no change. I tried both small and large speaker settings. Any ideas?

I was going to rent Episode I for a good receiver test run but it wasn't in.

The DVD said Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS formats. The Dolby worked but when I tried the DTS, no sound at all was heard.

What is the difference between Dolby Digital and DTS?

It's a Sony STRDE 898, Dolby Digital/DTS etc. Digital coax from DVD player to receiver.

Thanks,
    James

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jame.

You would not have this problem if all your speakers were identical and they all sat on the edge of a perfect circle around your central listening position.

Since most of our rooms dont allow this, you have to do "Calibration" ( or really "Level Adjusting"). This thread from our FAQ: Home Theater means Accuracy and Calibration will help.

It also sounds like your L/R channels may be over-powering everything else. Try adjusting their angle to focus 1-2 feet behind your central listening position.

3. Jame pc

Jame pc Agent

Actually the problem was that I had the DVD player set to PCM and not Digital output.

DTS did not work because the DVD player was set to DTS = Off.

These were the settings I had to use for my old Pro Logic receiver.

The link you provided gave a great explanation of Dolby vs. DTS too.

I still need to get a calibration disk but the sound is much better now.

Thanks,
    James