Set up question?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveSott, Jan 8, 2004.

1. SteveSott

SteveSott Extra

I'm about to set up my HT system and want to know if I shold make any changes. It's is always easier to get feedback first and not have to move everything later.

Cable box out with coax with a splitter to both the TV and VCR. S-video with L/R to the receiver.
    I put the cable to the TV so the wife doesn't have to mess with the receiver to watch the news. I was going to run the VCR feed through the receiver but the VCR doesn't have s-video. It is stereo and can't get stereo with the coax cable so maybe I should run the video out from the receiver to the VCR (Y/R/L RCA) I could eliminate the splitter?

I plan to put the DVD to the reveiver with Optical audio and component video.

Old cassette deck to the amp with R/L RCA's

Component Video from the receiver to the TV.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    ST

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A few things wrong here.

Dont run component to the reciever, then to the TV if you only have 1 device that provides component. Go straight to the TV with the component feed.

(The receiver allows you to switch from several DIFFERENT component sources into the TV - you only have 1 source so running through the reciever gives you nothing to switch.)

No, the receiver will NOT convert the different video types for you.

Go to Radio Shack and buy one of the cheap "Composite to SVideo" converters for $20. Use this to make the VCR provide a SVideo signal.

Run SVideo/L/R from the CATV box to the reciever.

Run SVideo/L/R from the VCR to the reciever.

Run long SVideo cable from the reciever to the TV.

(I hate to shill for the Shack, but they do sell bundles of SVideo/L/R cables in a single cable that help reduce cable-clutter).

You DID read through the How to setup your new HT reciever thread .. did'nt you? It's quite a definitive work.

3. SteveSott

SteveSott Extra

Thank you Bob, it is a definitive work I agree.
    I have already made more than two trips to the Shack and Home Depot and my system won't arrive for another week.
    Just to clarify.
    I should run the regular coax from the CATV to the VCR, then convert the out signal to s-video (L/R) to the receiver, correct? How do I get the signal from the VCR out of the receiver to the TV?
    Secondly,
    I have my receiver about a foot from my TV. I have an entertainment center I built some years ago. The receiver will be on a shelf that is 24" deep, 24" wide and 26" high. The only thing separating the receiver from the TV is an inch of wood. The other components; the tape, VCR and DVD are stacked on the shelf above the receiver. 18" and an inch of wood separate the components from the receiver. Only one component will be used at any one time and the DVD player that will get most of the work in on top of the pile. Do you think the receiver needs to be further away.
    If the equipment makes any difference I'll will list them below.
    Sony wega 36", Sony SLV N-81 VCR, Sony DVP NS725P DVD, Denon 1804, surround speakers w/sub.
    Thanks for the help.
    ST