Set-up Problems

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Pat_C, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I have a 13x16 ft room, with a projection screen in the northeast corner. I want a HT system, but I am limited in the way I can position the speakers (lack of space and wife's mandate). My concern is that the way I'll be forced to position my speakers will pretty much make it impossible to really enjoy/utilize a 5.1 system. I've thrown together a pretty bad diagram to try and relay what I'm working with. Any comments or suggestions on the sound I'll get out of this positioning will be greatly appreciated.

Legend: T=(tv); C=Couch/Chair; X= Coffee Tables;
    [A]=Proposed Speaker placement; =Proposed sub placement

_______EAST WALL_______
    TTTTTT [A]
    TTT[A]
    TTTT
    TTT
    [A]

XX CCCCCCCCCCCCC XX
    XX[A]CCCCCCCCCCCCC XX[A]
    ______WEST WALL________

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It would be helpful to have snap shots of the room in question, but I would avoid at all costs putting things in a corner (bad, bad, bad). The wife will just have to understand. [​IMG]

Dan

3. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

Dan:

That's the problem; we moved into a new condo and I have a projection screen 53 inch Hitachi. If I put it any place other than the corner, the living room loses a noticeable amount of space.

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Any chance you could ditch the RPTV in favour of a plasma or lcd display?

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

...or an FP? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Pat,

A few months ago I responded to a similar question saying that corner TV placement is unworkable for home theater, and got soundly “thrashed” by several Forum members who said they had successfully implemented a corner-based arrangement.

So it can be done. Problem is, most people aren’t willing to follow through with what it takes to do a corner arrangement correctly, e.g., turn everything else in the room 45-degrees.

For instance, Pat, looking at your diagram I can see you’re making the classic mistakes: The seating and rear speakers are situated as if the TV and front speakers are dead-center on the east wall. If you want to keep the TV in the corner, this will not work well. As you can see, the left speaker is close to the seating and to the left of it, while the right one is 30-miles away and nearly dead-center to the seating.

In a traditional layout with the TV on a flat wall, the seating is directly facing the TV. The front speakers directly face the seating, and the rear speakers also facing the seating, either to the sides or behind it.

If you want the most from corner placement, Pat, you’ll have to have the same continuity. The seating will have to also be catty-cornered in the room, directly facing the TV, and the rear speakers will have to be somehow set up so that they also face the seating – which means they will also be catty-cornered.

Those are the options, I’m afraid. If you are locked into a corner TV placement and unable or unwilling to follow through with everything else, you will have to be willing to live with the compromises.

There is one great benefit to a corner arrangement, however: A centrally-located sub is highly desirable in home theater, and can be easily accommodated – just locate it in the corner behind the TV.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

Thanks Wayne. I appreciate your input. I'll try to adjust the furniture and see what happens.