What's new

Set up new Pioneer VSX-832 (1 Viewer)

rfeigels

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger Feigelson
I use the BluRay player when I want to play CDs, but this new receiver automatically uses the subwoofer and I have not figured out how to turn that off only when playing CDs. I even set it up so I can use the optical cable for CD listening and the HDMI cable for watching BluRays so that can run in DTS or whatever and the CDs will just be two channel. Any suggestions?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Use the optical cable for music, so you can assign it to a different input than the hdmi, which you'll use for movies. Assign the optical input on the receiver to the CD input, because it makes sense. Then when you are playing music, set the receiver to some audio mode that doesn't use the subwoofer. Hopefully it has one. Different manufacturers use different terms, but "Pure Direct" or "Direct" might be it. You'll probably have to hunt around to find the right one. The receiver should remember which sound mode is set for each input, so when you select the hdmi input, it will automatically give you surround, and when you select CD, it should automatically go back to the mode you used to get two channel without the sub.

rfeigels

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger Feigelson
Thanks for the quick feedback. I tried that (although using the coaxial cable...strangely the BluRay player does not have an optical out). But the modes didn't help. I found a setting to turn off the subwoofer, but then it turns out it's a global setting...turning it off for all input devices...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, if you turn the sub off in the speaker setup menu, it turns it off for everything. Switching that back and forth will get what you want, but it's a pain. Low end receivers don't always have a 2 channel sound mode that turns off the sub, so you may be out of luck with the receiver you have. FWIW, if everything is calibrated correctly, playing music with the sub operating (a 2.1 setup) should be just fine. If it isn't, then the levels and the general setup of the sub probably isn't what it should be.

rfeigels

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger Feigelson
Strangely I went in to check the speaker size just to make sure they were set to large. They were and even though I didn't change anything that I'm aware of, the next CD played in just 2-channel. Little confused about what changed..but it's working now. Thanks for your help.

Mrkrinkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jake
Check your settings. You might have your speakers set to "small"
If so your reciever will send low frequencies to sub

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks