What's new

Set Up Modem to receive (1 Viewer)

Josh W

Agent
Hey - I was wondering if someone could tell me how to set up a modem to receive calls. I'm running Windows NT 4.0 with an external modem. I have the modem set to Auto Answer and I can see it light up when the phone rings. But it just continually rings and doesn't answer. Any help is appreciated.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Why?

:) (Sorry, couldnt resist. At work we're in the process of purging Windows NT from the handful of machines still running it and moving as fast as we can to replace 2000 with XP.)

You have to have some kind of software running to answer the call. (Fax, voice mail or some kind of remote access software.) You can't just set the modem to "answer" because it doesn't know how to answer, or what to do with the call. It depends on the computer to do that.

Regards,

Joe

Josh W

Agent
Thanks Joe - I'm now looking into software settings and options to try and figure this out. Anyone recommend a program that would accomplish this?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Something I forgot to ask about - is it a voice-capable modem? If so, it will be able to answer voice calls and take messages via the hard drive, and it should have shipped with bundled software. You can probably get (or download) replacement software from the manufacturer's site.

If not, all it will be able to do is answer data calls (via an application like PCAnywhere) or fax calls. (Via any number of fax programs. Again, the modem should have shipped with bundled fax software if it is a fax modem and you should be able to get a replacement CD or download the files from the manufacturer's site.)

I think Windows itself has some basic built-in fax capability. Check help under "fax". You can also do a Google search for freeware or shareware with the keywords "fax software" or "PC remote access software".

What is it you want the modem to do? And what is the make and model?

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks