set-up help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelV, Mar 16, 2003.

1. JoelV

JoelV Auditioning

Kind of new to all this and was hoping for a little help...

I will be getting my new Hit 57swx20b today and was a bit confused as to how I can best set it up with Tivo. I have a DVD, VCR, Direct Tv, and a separate Tivo (series 1). I was planning on hooking the vcr and the dvd directly to the tv (no receiver yet). If I run the Sat. feed to the tivo and the tivo to the tv, will it degrade the audio or video quality? I like the timeshifting and pause features of the Tivo, but I don't want a crappy picture as a result of it. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

3. JoelV

JoelV Auditioning

The TV has tons of inputs. I actually am running S-video and composite audio cables from the satellite receiver to the tivo and the same from the tivo to the tv. I was just wondering if tivo further compresses the signal, and if it does, whether it will result in a noticeably worse quality on a large projection tv.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Hook it up both ways and see if you can tell the difference. My guess would be that it's negligible. It would be similar to hooking it up through a receiver. Sure the extra wires might cause some degradation, but I doubt you'll be able to notice it.

And I suspect the features the Tivo has to offer make it worth setting up. But doing it both ways yourself is the only sure way of determining wether or not you see the difference.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert