What's new

Set up for hd , interconnecting cables (1 Viewer)

Ronald.K

Auditioning
I'm setting up a new system. Samsung hln507w, yamaha rxv-1400, comast digital cable + hd, Samsung hd931 dvd.

What is the best way to hook up?
All thru receiver? DVI between dvd and monitor?
Audio cable or optical?
Component video cables? Type important?

I have a 25' span between my monitor and rack set up now.
If I wouldn't loose significant picture quality, I'd opt to keep every thing as is.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
I have mine set up all through the reciever.
This way there is only the component cables from equipment rack to rptv. goto www.partsexpress.com plenty of cables including 25' component cables.

Just my 2 cents
Ed

I went with (All Monster cable high end cables/wires)component video cable direct to TV from my progressive scan dvd player, and I used fiber optic for sound from dvd to receiver and nothing but Thick grade monster cable for speakers with 14k gold banana clip connecters. But all my wires are hidden in control room behind wall, and speaker wires are in the walls. Except for my speaker wires, none of my cables go past 6ft in lengh. I'm very happy with sound and picture, but don't forget, you can have the best wires, but if your speakers aren't all that, nothing helps...And I'm not sure, but I was told that you can actually lose picture quality if you use s-video cable to long of a distance. But I also believe in UFO's (LOL)

my theater

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
There are many reasons why we do things.

Here is another reason I have mine set up through the reciever is to record to vcd/ svhs/ or htpc (still working on this).

I have component inputs and outputs on my reciever, so there is no issue except the fact that I had to buy two component video cables.

Here I found this in the home theater primer sectionhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?&postid=564305#post564305

BTW- Randy why did you use the toslink cable instead of the digital coax cable. I subscribe to sound and vision magazine and I read this article http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...2003145921.pdf and it actual states that there could be a dust problem with fiber ioptic cable

Hope this helps,
Ed

Ed,
Thanks , I'm really not that technically advanced to truley know whats better.I really didn't think about a dust problem, I did the same thing as Ronald, I put out a post last year asking who liked what as an audio option, and I received alot of fiber optic replies, People telling me that you will always get a true full signal using optical (light) than any coaxil (current). I also work for a big company, and our whole network is fiber optic, so I was able to get the cable from there. I read the article, I don't think I have to worry about dust, I plugged it in to a new receiver which still had a cover on the outlet, the fiber optic was brand new with a cover. And it's all behind a wall, never to be touched hopefully...
my theater

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Nice theater Randy!

Holly cow if I put up pictures of my theater you would probably laugh. My theater is only 13 x 13.

So what do think happened Ronald K....Can you say hi-jacked thread.

See Ya
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks