Set up disk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardG, Mar 9, 2002.

1. RichardG

RichardG Auditioning

I was wondering what was the best set up disk to buy. I had video essentials before it got lost and I am looking for a new one. I have heard of the avia disk but was wondering if anyone has seen the one offered by sound and vision magazine. theirs is 19.99 i think. let me know what you guys think and if there are other disk.

2. Ray Stericker

I also am interested in these test disks. The Sound and Vision disk is significantly cheaper than the other two I am aware of.

The only test equipment I have is my Radio Shack sound meter, so I am wondering if it is worth the extra money for the other disks.

Hope we can stir up some interest in this question.

Ray

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

gents, here's how Guy Kuo of Ovation, producer of Avia and the S&V discs, describes them:

4. Matthew Speed

Yeah, and the AVIA disk says that the cables that come in the box with your DVD, VCR, etc. are the only ones you'll ever need. AND that anyone who tries to sell you better cables is a quote "Snake Oil Salesman." You can trust a company that tells you quality wiring and cable won't help the performance of your home theater. I don't and I cast my vote with my wallet, for Video Essentials.

5. Dan Seliger

Dan Seliger Stunt Coordinator

i bought all 3 of the disks...

I like the S&V one the best and it was actually the cheapest (17.99 at best buy).

It has all the Dolby Digital Demos on it, THX EX Demo, and a really nice DTS ES demo on it.

The calibration tools are pretty much the same on all of them though...imo.

6. Ray Stericker

Thanks to all. I think I will be fine with the S&V disk for now. If I want to get fancy I can buy the others later.

Ray

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I personally like the Video Essentials disc, even though it seems quite dated now. I own VE, AVIA, and S&V Tune-up. I use a combination of VE and AVIA to set it up right most of the time.