Set up disc question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ed O'Neill, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Ed,

Haven't used that particular disc, however, I believe most here would recommend either

the new Digital Video Essentials:
    http://www.videoessentials.com/

or
    AVIA
    http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/
    note they also make the Sound & Vision DVD which is a stripped down version of their own disc.

I have both DVE and AVIA and purchased them from amazon.

The new DVE has more info and tests for 16:9 screens, but I found AVIA was easier to use. Others may tell you the opposite [​IMG]. The DVE disc was less expensive to buy.

Both have excellent information on them. I have not yet gone through the complete DVE disc, just ran some of the test patterns and tones to compare to my calibration with AVIA.

3. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Paul,

I found some info on another forum and someone recommended to another person to check their local library. Well I just checked mine and sure enough they have the video essentials 2003 disc. So I am on my way to get it.

I was wondering would you still recommend buying the disc?
    How often do you need to calibrate your system?

My warranty on my rptv provides a professional cleaning and calibration once a year for the next 3-4 years, but I think I have to wait til 1 year is up before I can use this,I just got my tv in april.

Thanks
    Ed

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

For the price (25 US list) of the DVE disc I would recommend you purchase it. Check it out of your library (that's a great idea BTW) and run through the disc and see if it meets your needs.

I'm still running a 'standard' Sony TV so once I set the levels available to me, it hasn't changed in the last year.

The test tones for the Audio section of the DVD's I use more often as I am a 'tweaker' at heart, moving stuff around the room. With one of the above discs and a Radio Shack SPL meter I can spend hours playing [​IMG]. Guess I need a life [​IMG].

The amount of information on the discs is worth the cost, but as I said above, if your library has it you can see for yourself if you want to spend the money.

You will be able to set certain levels on your RPTV with either disc, (most important brightness which is usually cranked WAY up) but from what I understand an ISF calibration after a few hundred hours of break in would improve your picture considerably. Do a Normal search in 'Display Devices' for 'ISF' for more info.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Well I'm back.

I went to the library to get the dve disc it wasn't there it turns out it was in the next towns library, so I had to drive an extra 5 miles...lol.

My public library is connected with around 12 other libraries in the area. Not bad because if it's at a library that is far away you can just have the book/video shipped to your local library. My library doesn't charge for videos but the one where I got the disc does..it cost a whopping $1 for 7 days.

So I get to the library in the next town and I find it on the shelf with a tag that reads new dvd 11/20/2003. If I'm not mistaken wasn't that yestarday. COOL ... I am the first person to actually use this disc.

Paul - I will probably take your advice and still buy it but at least now I don't have to shell out $25 for the disc and the money for the spl meter at the same time. I'll buy the meter this week and use the library's disc. Then in few weeks I'll buy the dve disc. I'm like you a tweaker...I'll try anything once or twice or.....LOL

Ted - Thanks for the link to that thread I'll check it out now!

Signed
    ED