Set Up Advise- SACD & DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose T, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Looking for some advise on how to have these feature on my new set up. I know there are new universal players on the market that would alleviate my delimina but budget became a concern. I know there maybe some threads that deal with this issue but unable to locate at this time. I recently purchased the Panny RP 91 which has DVD-A capabilities and will purchase shortly another Sony SACD player since I prefer that format. DVD-Audio is not a big deal but I figure if I have it use it. My question is how do I set this up since the 5.1 outputs on my receiver(not purchased yet ) will be used by SACD ? Is there a receiver or method to utilize both of these features from two different components ? Will optical output work ? Steer me in the tight direction . Thanks.

2. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

At this time there are only two players available which will pass along the decoded SACD or DVD Audio signals by means other than through the players 5.1 channel analog outputs. One is a DVD A player made by Denon ( msrp $3500 ), and the other is made by Pioneer Elite ( msrp $1200 ). Both of these players require connection to specific receivers ( Denon AVR 5803 msrp $4300, and Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi msrp $4700 ) to achieve this. OK, so I would guess that this is not an option for you right now. There are also a few receivers available that have two 5.1 channel analog inputs, which would also solve your dilema. One of them ( the Denon AVR 5803 ) is already mentioned, the other is made by Sony ( ES series ). You don't mention a budget, but you may want to consider this option as well.

There are devices that can be made specifically which have two 5.1 channel analog inputs and 1 output which would allow switching. I have heard that Randy Fogg makes one, and that there is a unit made by Sony. The problem is the availability of these items. Here is what I have done. I went to Radio Shack and purchased two audio/video switchers. These devices have two A/V inputs and 1 output. Each input has a L/R stereo and 1 ( yellow ) video, one marked " A " and one marked "B". You connect the 3 analog outs from your SACD player to side A on one switcher the other 3 to side A on the other switcher. You do the same with your DVD A player outputs, but to the side B on each. The six outputs ( three from each ) will go into the 5.1 channel inputs on your receiver or pre/pro. When you listen to SACD you make sure that both A buttons are depressed on each unit, and the same is done for DVD A, but side B would be depressed. The A/V switchers are passive devices and have no problem passing along the signals with little to no degredation in sound quality. Some question the use of the yellow " video " input. The input is color coded for convience and passes along the same signal as the red and white ones. It does work, and is a reasonable solution for the time being.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I also use two Radio Shack A/V switchers (part #15-1952 for about $13 each) for switching the 5.1 analog inputs of separate SACD and DVD-Audio players on my receiver. It is inexpensive and works very well. However, since you are in the market for a new receiver, you may want to check out those models that provide dual 5.1 analog inputs (some Denon and Sony ES models, for example).

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ralph,

There are more solutions than you allude to for digital transfer of DVD-A.

Meridian has two players and two processors which can pass DVD-A digitally, but it isn't particularly affordable. The cheap solution is around US$13K, with the top end solution is over US$30K.

Muse has a solution as well, with their MAP product and Erato transport. Once again this isn't quite in the affordable price range, weighing in at US$14K.

Regards,

5. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Sony has some receivers that have 2 5.1 inputs. Pisses me off that no other company has done this yet.

6. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the advise. I'm considering the Sony ES line either 4ES or 5 models/ I'll check which one has the the dual 5.1 inputs. I'm not a bif fan of Denon models but there reciever will be way out of my range at this time.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jo,

The Denon AVR-5803 and the '5800 before it have two sets of multi-channel inputs. These units obviously are much more expensive than the Sony ES receivers, but they exist nonetheless.

Jose,

I also use the Radio Shack switch boxes that Scott referred to for switching between multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD. They work very well and are inexpensive. Do a search for "15-1952" here to see how people are using them.

By the way, which Sony SACD player are you looking to get?

8. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,
    John ( Kotches ), thanks for pointing those out. Whew! At those prices no wonder I was unaware[​IMG]

9. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Keth H. I looking at the SACD 555 ES as I already own the lower Sony 775 multi player. The problem with that unit is there is no on/off on the remote otherwise not a bad enrty level SACD player with bass mgmt.

10. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Couldn't you just use 6 Y-splitters?

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jose, only the Sony SACD players that also play DVDs have an on/off button on the remote. So, the 'C555ES has no on/off button on the remote either. In fact, the 'C555ES uses the same remote as the 'CE775.

12. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Keith H, I'll double check but the 555 has the on/off on the remote buts its the other ES model SACD 222 that doesn't.

13. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Keith H, I'll double check but the 555 has the on/off on the remote buts its the other ES model SACD 222 that doesn't.

14. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jose, the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES use the same remote, the RM-SC500. This remote does not have an on/off button. Note that I have two 'C555ES changers, one I bought in November 2001 and the other in April 2002. I think I would have found the on/off button on the remote by now. [​IMG]

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, ha ha. [​IMG]

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm using the Radio Shack switch boxes also. They work great. Chris, you can't use Y-splitters. Those are designed to split an output not an input. There will be problems, believe me.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have tried Y-adapters for this application, and they don't work. The volume of the playback signals gets significantly reduced, even if only one of the components is turned on.