Set top box advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Butler, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Mike Butler

Mike Butler Extra

I bought a Mitsubishi WS-55909 55" Diamond Series RPTV that includes a HDTV tuner -actually they deliver it on Friday[​IMG]
    I was kind of confused about the digital tuner thing. I come to realize I need a Direct TV HDTV "set top box" to view the HD HBO, HDNET, etc. So I call the store and ask him about the tuner and he tells me the Mitsubishi model is $899! I ask if I should have bought same model without the "built in" tuner and then buy the STB, he "yes but they don't make the Diamond series without a built in HDTV off air tuner anymore". So if I stick with this deal and buy the STB, I surely have a nice setup, but at quite some cost. For what they charge for HDTV tuners, I don't really want a redundant one. Make sense?
    SO if I dig deep and buy a STB, which one should I get. The Mitsubishi is very expensive, but the salesman claims it is the best, especially since it will connect to a Mits TV. I've seen a Samsung for under $600. Any good?
    Thanks
    MIKE

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I hope someone with authoritative information will jump in here, but I'm not so sure you need to get a "HD receiver" (DirecTV receiver + HD tuner) if you already have an HD tuner in the TV. My understanding is that as long as the DirecTV part is multi-satellite, you can connect it to the HDTV.

I think you should get a second opinion.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Mike,

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Check your local BB or CC; I've seen the RCA DTC-100 STB for $349 and less, and some stores will waive the DirecTV subscription requirement.