1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Set top box advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Butler, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Mike Butler

Mike Butler Extra

I bought a Mitsubishi WS-55909 55" Diamond Series RPTV that includes a HDTV tuner -actually they deliver it on Friday[​IMG]
    I was kind of confused about the digital tuner thing. I come to realize I need a Direct TV HDTV "set top box" to view the HD HBO, HDNET, etc. So I call the store and ask him about the tuner and he tells me the Mitsubishi model is $899! I ask if I should have bought same model without the "built in" tuner and then buy the STB, he "yes but they don't make the Diamond series without a built in HDTV off air tuner anymore". So if I stick with this deal and buy the STB, I surely have a nice setup, but at quite some cost. For what they charge for HDTV tuners, I don't really want a redundant one. Make sense?
    SO if I dig deep and buy a STB, which one should I get. The Mitsubishi is very expensive, but the salesman claims it is the best, especially since it will connect to a Mits TV. I've seen a Samsung for under $600. Any good?
    Thanks
    MIKE

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I hope someone with authoritative information will jump in here, but I'm not so sure you need to get a "HD receiver" (DirecTV receiver + HD tuner) if you already have an HD tuner in the TV. My understanding is that as long as the DirecTV part is multi-satellite, you can connect it to the HDTV.

I think you should get a second opinion.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Mike,

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Check your local BB or CC; I've seen the RCA DTC-100 STB for $349 and less, and some stores will waive the DirecTV subscription requirement.