What's new

Set to Small or Large (1 Viewer)

Lisa Menin

Agent
I was in the process of searching through old posts on this topic when the server crashed. Thus, I am reposting what is probably a newbie question:

I just bought a set of B&W 303s (fronts and rears) and the LCR3 (center) for my bedroom setup. I use a Denon 1601 as a receiver there. I do not have a sub. Should I set the fronts, rears and center to "Large" or "Small"? According to the Denon website, the fronts should be set to "Large" and the other 3 speakers set to "Small". Do the experts here concur?

I started out with all speakers set to "Large" and I could swear that the viewing chair (which is about 7 feet from the front 3 speakers) was subtly shaking/vibrating.

Thanks in advance...

Lisa

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
W/O a sub, I'd definitely go large.

They can handle it. Nice speakers.

- CM

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Without a subwoofer, you must set your front L/R pair to LARGE. Any other speakers set to SMALL will reroute the bass frequencies below the crossover (probably 80Hz) to the fronts. Since your surrounds and center are similar in frequency handling to the fronts, there is no benefit to setting them to SMALL. You may in fact overload the fronts with too much bass. Therefore, I would set everything to LARGE.

Of course, you can always try both settings and decide which sounds better to you -- after all, that's what counts.

If you add a subwoofer, you will probably want to set all the speakers to SMALL.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Lisa,
I have 2 pair of 303's & Lc3 center in my bedroom as well with an Integra 6.2 receiver and no sub. All set too large :)

Lisa Menin

Agent
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Do you think that the subtle shaking of the chair, etc... when set to Large is from the added bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks