Set screen size?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Osborne, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I'll be finished with hanging drywall for my Home Theater project in the next day or two. Hope to have mudding done in a week or so.
    I've ordered my screen paint from www.DIYtheatre.com. I question if I should be building a screen frame and have the screen out a bit from the wall or just make the entire back wall the screen.
    I will be having curtains that will open and close, so I could open just far enough to view the image. What will the surrounding area look like if the image is smaller that the actual screen? I have very good ambient light control and using the BenQ 7700 projector. The screen paint is Medium Grey Austrailian Opal.
    I doubt very much that having the image smaller than the screen will be distracting at all, but does anyone have experience with this?
    Here is a link to a picture that shows the front wall of my theater. The screen is set back about 14" from the surrounding wall that the speakers will be built into.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...geViewsIndex=0

2. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Having a image smaller than the screen will not be a problem. The image seldom fits the screen anyway. For examples, when a movie is not in the standard 16:9 widescreen format or when watching the 4:3 TV format. I don't find that to be distracting, especially if the room is dark. And by the way, I never thought that automatic masking systems were ever justified in home theaters.

David

3. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I was just talking about stopping the curtains early when I'm watching TV in 4:3....
    But if it is not a distraction, then no need.

Mudding tonight and tomorow, I'll post some more pics once we get a good start on it.