What's new

Set Phasers to Stun (1 Viewer)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...energy_weapons

At the same Air Force Research Laboratory in New Mexico, researchers working with Raytheon Co. have developed a weapon called the Active Denial System, which repels adversaries by heating the water molecules in their skin with microwave energy. The pain is so great that people flee immediately.

"It just feels like your skin is on fire," said Rich Garcia, a spokesman for the laboratory who, as a test subject, has felt the Active Denial System's heat. "When you get out of the path of the beam, or shut off the beam, everything goes back to normal. There's no residual pain."

Yikes!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Interesting! Some have experienced the Active Denial System when trying to pick up a woman. BTW, funny sig.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
My roommate once used pepper spray on a guy in a theater who had laid his hands on him, and it filled the theater, causing it to evacuate. :D

This new weapon sounds like it would be easy to avoid harming innocent bystanders.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Why won't the Air Force release the results of their human trials to the Red Cross if there are no side effects?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why does the RC need to know anything? Shouldn't they be dealing with accidents and natural disasters rather than giving their 2 cents about weapons development?

Don Black

Screenwriter
Not if the Red Cross is the ones who have to deal with the "results" of such weapons. My point is that all of these claims of non-lethal force are just propoganda until confirmed by a third party. It's not like the military has the best credibility these days on issues of human rights.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The Red Cross has had its own scandals, no? Who dealt with the blood that had Hepatitis C and the AIDS virus? Why the funeral parlors, that's who.

I think its too early to tell what the effects are but I could see its utility in say riots or safeguarding embassies.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Perhaps. But before we start literally boiling the blood of other human beings, someone other than the U.S. military should verify what, if any, the side effects of these weapons are.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, like hoarding all the hundreds of millions of dollars that poured in after 9/11. They'll never get another donation out of me, blood or money.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
i wonder what range this thing has, and what power is needed? i think that the feeling of getting hit by this thing would be similar touching something hot.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So basically you are taking the door off the microwave and sticking your body in there. Yeah, calling it boiling blood is way out of line.

I mean come on, this doesn't sound like a fun time here. It also sounds way too easy to abuse or crank the power up on. There is a reason you wear the protective vest when getting X-Rayed. There's also a reason why your nerves carry a message of pain to your brain and it ain't "everything's going good down here". :)

Did you ever leave a hot dog in the microwave too long? Or an egg?

Hell, I sure hope it doesn't hit any metal on or in your body.

Yes, this does sound like some good times to me.

Sorry to be sour grapes but while the technology is interesting and I understand the idea of restraining it so that it is a safer deterrent, I don't think that people questioning the real safety of the device are all that crazy.

But by all means feel free to sign up as the next test subject if you think it has no possible problems.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Seth brings up some very good points.

But what about other forms of potential mis-use?

Like using it to reheat a cold cup of coffee?

Or burning ants / melting G.I. Joes on the sidewalk?

Alex-C

Screenwriter
.yea, and while we're at it, can we set it to level 1 and just warm someone to the point of annoyance so it doesnt hurt.

I see a use for that 10,000 times a day, hmm, let's see, annoying people who wont leave me office; the long line in front of me at starbucks, solictors, my in-laws, bad black jack players who sit at third base, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks